[Media-watch] {SPAM?} internet censorship or technical problem??

Sigi D sigi_here at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 15:01:14 GMT 2004

Hello dear Media watch friends,
one question that really bugs me:
I discovered that BT, my ISP provider, is currently
using a blacklist that blocks Topica, which is Amnesty
international's  email service provider.
(Took me ages to find out why my ai newsletters
suddenly stopped).
Has anybody else been affected by this? i.e. Have your
ai newsletters / emails suddenly stopped?
Did you also have to switch over to hotmail to get
your ai newsletters?
Is this just a purely technical problem or is there
something more sinister behind the whole thing?
Internet censorship or  technical problem??
Regards and best wishes,
Sigi
(the following Quote is a technical explanation from
Topica:
"The ISP (BT) your subscriber below is using is
currently using a
blacklist which blocks Topica.  Topica is one of the
largest
e-mail service providers in the world. Our terms of
service
require that all our customers mail only to addresses
that have
given permission on an opt-in basis. We have measures
in lace to
try to catch abuses before the mail gets sent, but
this system is
not perfect and we do appear on some blacklists."