[Media-watch]

David Crouch David.Crouch at emap.com
Wed Sep 17 13:19:01 BST 2003

Just a few thoughts:

My impression is that, if you go to any anti-war meeting or give out
leaflets on the street, there is enormous, silent indignation out there.
People really do feel betrayed.

The difficulty is mobilising that feeling. I think the Sept 27 demo is going
to be crucial in this respect. The outcome of the postworkers strike ballot
could have an impact too -- the union has been brilliant on Iraq.

As for the media, the situation is a little different from a year ago, when
so much of the media was parroting the government line. Now it's easier to
find serious comment in the press and on TV attacking the government and
exposing the US/UK role in Iraq.

Essentially we've won the main argument that the war was wrong. Nobody
seriously believes that the US/UK went into Iraq to establish peace and
democracy and to fight terrorism.

Now we've got to win arguments about ending the occupation, and what to put
in Blair's place when he goes -- the second of these in particular is a
complex issue, you can't campaign around it in the same way. The media is
less of an obstacle to the anti-war movement than it was initially -- we've
made some real breakthroughs. The picture is complicated by the fact that
all the Murdoch press are attacking the BBC with their own right-wing
agenda.

The people who control the media haven't changed their spots -- they are
still the same class-ridden and class-biased bunch of bastards that they
were. But I think the situation requires that media watchers also pay
attention to related issues, such as the appalling attacks on asylum seekers
in the press (which are trying to wrest back some of the ground lost to the
anti-war movement), islamophobia and combatting the rise of the BNP, what's
happening in Palestine, democracy movements in the Middle East and so on.

All comments gratefully received

Dave
Media Workers Against the War
www.mwaw.org <http://www.mwaw.org>