[Media-watch] C4 news April 11

Zahera Harb HarbZ1 at Cardiff.ac.uk
Sat Apr 12 16:26:13 BST 2003

It is a relief to know other people have noticed that
Karl Dinnen's report on the miraculous appearance of a
poster linking Saddam Hussein & the twin towers "was just not
credible" as Liz Curtis put it. I would like to add that lack of
credibility became obvious when the reporter recorded false
translation from Arabic. There was few Arabic words written on the
banner just beside Saddam's face and the twin towers translates "God
save Iraq and Saddam" and Karl Dinnen translated it as "for Iraq and
its people". Another wrong translation was recorded when he
identified the written words on the top of a training shooting target
in one of Saddam's army training centre as, "this is a Jewish" and
the accurate translation is " this is a Zionist". For most Iraqis and
Arabs there is a big difference between the two. The first relates to
the religion and the other relates to a political and militarly
movement. To sum it up the translations he used to base his argument
of a link between the Islamic fundamentalists and Saddam's regime
were false.
I e-mailed channel 4 news on this, but no response till now.
I do agree with Liz that Lindsay Hilsum has been great. As an Arab
watching and trying to compare between the Arabic satellite channels
coverage of the war and the British ones, channel 4 news has been so
far the most credible unbiased source of news on British TV.

Zahera Harb
School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies
Cardiff University
Bute Building
King Edward VII Ave
Cardiff