[BERG] This week's BERG: Sophia Daoudi discusses her expedition to re-establish a new long-term field station in Suriname

Donna Kean d.e.kean1 at stir.ac.uk
Mon Sep 25 09:54:27 BST 2017

Dear BERGers,

This Wednesday at we will have Sophia Daoudi giving an exciting talk regarding her field work in South America, entitled:

"An expedition to re-establish a new long-term field station for conservation & primate research in Suriname."
In Sophia's own words: there are a range of benefits to twinning a captive primate research centre with a field site. The Living Links Research Centre was established nine years ago in the Royal Zoological Society Scotland's Edinburgh Zoo. It is a mixed-species exhibit housing two groups of brown capuchins (Sapajus apella) and common squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus), and acts as a public engagement with science centre. The Raleighvallen Nature Reserve, Suriname is one of the largest protected tropical forests in South America. During January-March 2017 the general ecology of the eight sympatric primates in Raleighvallen was studied, with a focus on polyspecific associations Sapajus and Saimiri.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D335E3.D0449440]            [cid:image002.jpg at 01D335E3.D0449440]

We look forward to seeing you all there at 5.30pm in the common room. Drinks and snacks as usual!

Best,
Donna