[Media-watch] Blog launch

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 18:49:47 GMT 2005

Press Release: Friday 4th March, 2005

'Watchdog' to be a 'little thorn' in the sides of political establishment in Delyn

In the run up to the 2005 General Election a new web-site is to be officially launched for the general public next week (week beginning Monday 7th March).

Delyn Democracy: The Political Watchdog is a non-profit making, public awareness raising tool that is freely available online at www.delyndemocracy.blogspot.com. Its primary target audience is the 70,000-plus residents of the Delyn electoral constituency in Flintshire, North Wales. The editorial team is made up of Delyn constituents; all either born, raised and/or currently living in Flintshire towns and villages.

The website's facilitator says: "Delyn Democracy will provide a slightly satirical take on events in the run up to the 2005 General Election. It is hoped that this web-site will prove to be a little thorn in the side of the political establishment in Delyn. But there is a serious point too, in a country and constituency which lacks a credible political opposition, we will be using our small website to do what we can to publicly hold candidates and parties in Delyn to account."

The website will be updated regularly over the next few months before the General Election, which is expected on May 5th. The content will include:
. Details on how to register to vote in elections
. Maps and profiles of the Delyn electoral constituency
. Light-hearted quizzes
. A breakdown of David Hanson MP's parliamentary voting record and analysis of his ministerial prospects
. Articles that scrutinise the views and policies of candidates and parties
. Interviews with candidates

The website's facilitator explained how public scrutiny and democratic accountability are an essential part of the website's mission. "We are demanding trustworthiness, truthfulness and decency from all political candidates in Delyn. To begin with we will undertake a detailed analysis of David Hanson's role as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the PM. He has been described not only as Tony Blair's 'right-hand man' but also as his 'eyes and ears'."

The Delyn constituent added: "We are waiting for our MP to voice his unqualified support for the publication of all drafts, details and dates of the government's advice as to the legality of the Iraq war. Why might he be reluctant to support publication under the Freedom of Information Act 2000? Perhaps, he has insider knowledge that (a) the Iraq war was agreed between Blair and Bush in April 2002 and that (b) the official legal advice is being concealed because it says the war could be ruled illegal."

Delyn constituents are welcome to post comments on the site and/or email possible news items or articles to delyn.democracy at gmail.com