[Media-watch] Some just voted for food

David J McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 16:20:02 GMT 2005

** Dahr Jamail's Iraq Dispatches **
** http://dahrjamailiraq.com **

   January 31, 2005

     Some Just Voted for Food

Inter Press Service
Dahr Jamail

*BAGHDAD, Jan 31 (IPS) - Voting in Baghdad was linked with receipt of
food rations, several voters said after the Sunday poll.*

Many Iraqis said Monday that their names were marked on a list provided
by the government agency that provides monthly food rations before they
were allowed to vote.

?I went to the voting centre and gave my name and district where I lived
to a man,? said Wassif Hamsa, a 32-year-old journalist who lives in the
predominantly Shia area Janila in Baghdad. ?This man then sent me to the
person who distributed my monthly food ration.?

Mohammed Ra'ad, an engineering student who lives in the Baya'a district
of the capital city reported a similar experience.

Ra'ad, 23, said he saw the man who distributed monthly food rations in
his district at his polling station. ?The food dealer, who I know
personally of course, took my name and those of my family who were
voting,? he said. ?Only then did I get my ballot and was allowed to vote.?

?Two of the food dealers I know told me personally that our food rations
would be withheld if we did not vote,? said Saeed Jodhet, a 21-year-old
engineering student who voted in the Hay al-Jihad district of Baghdad.

There has been no official indication that Iraqis who did not vote would
not receive their monthly food rations.

Many Iraqis had expressed fears before the election that their monthly
food rations would be cut if they did not vote. They said they had to
sign voter registration forms in order to pick up their food supplies.

Their experiences on the day of polling have underscored many of their
concerns about questionable methods used by the U.S.-backed Iraqi
interim government to increase voter turnout.

Just days before the election, 52 year-old Amin Hajar who owns an auto
garage in central Baghdad had said: ?I'll vote because I can't afford to
have my food ration cut...if that happened, me and my family would
starve to death.?

Hajar told IPS that when he picked up his monthly food ration recently,
he was forced to sign a form stating that he had picked up his voter
registration. He had feared that the government would use this
information to track those who did not vote.

Calls to the Independent Electoral Commission for Iraq (IECI) and to the
Ministry of Trade, which is responsible for the distribution of the
monthly food ration, were not returned.

Other questions have arisen over methods to persuade people to vote.
U.S. troops tried to coax voters in Ramadi, capital city of the al-Anbar
province west of Baghdad to come out to vote, AP reported.

IECI officials have meanwhile 'downgraded' their earlier estimate of
voter turnout.

IECI spokesman Farid Ayar had declared a 72 percent turnout earlier, a
figure given also by the Bush Administration.

But at a press conference Ayar backtracked on his earlier figure, saying
the turnout would be nearer 60 percent of registered voters.

The earlier figure of 72 percent, he said, was ?only guessing? and ?just
an estimate? that had been based on ?very rough, word of mouth estimates
gathered informally from the field.? He added that it will be some time
before the IECI can issue accurate figures on the turnout.

?Percentages and numbers come only after counting and will be announced
when it's over,? he said. ?It is too soon to say that those were the
official numbers.?

Where there was a large turnout, the motivation behind the voting and
the processes both appeared questionable. The Kurds up north were voting
for autonomy, if not independence. In the south and elsewhere Shias were
competing with Kurds for a bigger say in the 275-member national assembly.

In some places like Mosul the turnout was heavier than expected. But
many of the voters came from outside, and identity checks on voters
appeared lax. Others spoke of vote-buying bids.

The Bush Administration has lauded the success of the Iraq election, but
doubtful voting practices and claims about voter turnout are both mired
in controversy.

Election violence too was being seen differently across the political
spectrum.

More than 30 Iraqis, a U.S. soldier, and at least 10 British troops died
Sunday. Hundreds of Iraqis were also wounded in attacks across Baghdad,
in Baquba 50km northeast of the capital as well as in the northern
cities Mosul and Kirkuk.

The British troops were on board a C-130 transport plane that crashed
near Balad city just northwest of Baghdad. The British military has yet
to reveal the cause of the crash.

Despite unprecedented security measures in which 300,000 U.S. and Iraqi
security forces were brought in to curb the violence, nine suicide
bombers and frequent mortar attacks took a heavy toll in the capital
city, while strings of attacks were reported around the rest of the country.

As U..S. President George W. Bush saw it, ?some Iraqis were killed while
exercising their rights as citizens.?

(c)2004, 2005 Dahr Jamail.
All images and text are protected by United States and international copyright law. If you would like to reprint Dahr's Dispatches on the web, you need to include this copyright notice and a prominent link to the DahrJamailIraq.com website. Any other use of images and text including, but not limited to, reproduction, use on another website, copying and printing requires the permission of Dahr Jamail. Of course, feel free to forward Dahr's dispatches via email.

Iraq_Dispatches mailing list
http://lists.dahrjamailiraq.com/mailman/listinfo/iraq_dispatches

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: