[Media-watch] ICH News

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 10:49:19 GMT 2005

"It is not necessary that whilst I live I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live I should live honourably.": Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) German philosopher

=

"A man does what he must -- in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers -- and this is the basis of all human morality.": John F. Kennedy - (1917-1963) 35th US President

=

"If everyone were clothed with integrity, if every heart were just, frank, kindly, the other virtues would be well-nigh useless, since their chief purpose is to make us bear with patience the injustice of our fellows.": Molière - [Jean-Baptiste Poquelin] (1622-1673) French playwright

===

Read this newsletter online http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

To help support ICH using PayPal click here. http://tinyurl.com/v1l8
Or if you prefer to send a check or money order, Tom, PO Box 365 Imperial Beach, CA 91933. USA.

To Unsubscribe see information at the base of this newsletter

To change your email address.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/subscribe.htm

RSS FEED
http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/informationclearinghouse/rss

===

Democracy - It's not God's gift

Jordanian-born terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, leader of the organisation that calls itself "al Qaeda in Iraq", says: "We have declared a fierce war on this evil principle of democracy."

By Gwynne Dyer

Zarqawi is the bogeyman that the United States Government blames for almost everything that has gone wrong in Iraq, but he does speak essentially the same language as President Bush.
http://207.44.245.159/article7830.htm

===

"Standing for the Founding Principles of the Republic"

This doctrine of preemptive strikes places the sole decision of war and peace in the hands of the President and undermines the Constitutional power of Congress to declare war.

by US Senator Robert C. Byrd

Not only does this pernicious doctrine of preemptive war contradict the Constitution, it barely acknowledges its existence. The National Security Strategy makes only one passing reference to the Constitution: it states that "America's constitution" -- that is "constitution" with a small C -- "has served us well." As if the Constitution does not still serve this country well! One might ask if that reference to the Constitution was intended to be a compliment or an obituary?
http://207.44.245.159/article7832.htm

===

Because There is No Cause

Into history's cauldron have American troops been sent to wage war and decimate cities, lands and lives.

By Manuel Valenzuela

It is time we say enough is enough, that the American people refuse to sit idly while a few miscreants destroy our nation and our world. It is time to show the world what we once were, and are capable of once again becoming. It is time we make our government accountable. It is time to end the madness of this illegal and immoral war.
http://207.44.245.159/article7831.htm

===

Dr. Teresa Whitehurst: The Intolerance of Christian Conservatives:

Making Tolerance a Sin; Intolerance a Virtue
http://207.44.245.159/article7845.htm

===

36 U.S. Troops Die in Iraq:

Thirty-one U.S. troops were reported killed in a helicopter crash and five more died in insurgent attacks Wednesday in the deadliest day for American forces since they invaded Iraq 22 months ago.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7437344

http://snipurl.com/cbk5

===

Truck bomb kills 15 in Iraq:

A truck bomb has exploded near the offices of a major Kurdish party in the northwestern Iraqi town of Sinjar, killing at least 15 people and wounding 30, the local mayor says.
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=661470

http://snipurl.com/cbk6

===

Suicide Car Bombs Kill 9 Iraqis Near Kirkuk:

Police said four Iraqi policemen, two soldiers and three civilians were killed, and at least 12 people were wounded.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=7435920

http://snipurl.com/cbk8

===

One U.S. Soldier Killed, Two Wounded In RPG Attack:
http://www.centcom.mil/CENTCOMNews/Casualty_Report.asp?CasualtyReport=20050134.txt

http://snipurl.com/cbkc

===

Four Iraqi soldiers kidnapped in western Iraq: police:

Four Iraqi soldiers were kidnapped Wednesday in the volatile western city of Ramadi as they were leaving a US military base, police said.
http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?ID=36512

===

American pleads for life in video :

An American kidnapped in November pleaded for his life in a video aired Tuesday, and at least a dozen Iraqis died in Baghdad as political violence continued to plague the country five days before Sunday's crucial elections for a new National Assembly.
http://www.lmtonline.com/news/s3.htm

===

Pentagon to spend 75 billion for three new brigades :

The Pentagon wants to build three new US army brigades and to train and equip Iraqi forces with 75 billion dollars requested on Tuesday, while funding deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, a top US defense official said.
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13656621

===

Two more years for U.S. troops in Iraq:

A Pentagon official says it's likely the United States will keep about 120,000 troops in Iraq at least until 2006.
http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050125-073545-6926r.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6dcdp

===

Iraqi Insurgency Proves Tough to Crack:

U.S. officials no longer believe this weekend's election will finish off the rebellion, whose disparate factions unite in hating the Americans.
http://207.44.245.159/article7843.htm

===

Senate Democrats said that Condoleezza Rice lied about the Iraq war:

"I don't like impugning anyone's integrity, but I really don't like being lied to," Dayton said in opposing Rice's nomination on the Senate floor. "Repeatedly, flagrantly, intentionally."
http://207.44.245.159/article7835.htm

===

Kennedy, Dems Assail Iraq Policy, Rice :

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and other Democrats assailed President Bush's decision to go to war with Iraq Tuesday and declared they would oppose Condoleezza Rice's nomination as secretary of state as a principal architect of a failed policy.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20050125/ap_on_go_co/senate_rice

http://tinyurl.com/4eekh

===

Gonzales says: Torture treaty doesn't bar `cruel, inhuman' tactics:

Gonzales said the Convention Against Torture treaty, as ratified by the Senate, doesn't prohibit the use of "cruel, inhuman or degrading" tactics on non-U.S. citizens who are captured abroad, in Iraq or elsewhere.
http://207.44.245.159/article7839.htm

===

Gonzales Not Right Fit For GIs:

As retired professional military leaders of the U.S. armed forces, we are deeply concerned about the nomination of Alberto R. Gonzales to be attorney general. We feel that his views concerning the role of the Geneva Conventions in U.S. detention and interrogation policy and practice have put soldiers in harm's way.
http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=125&article=26767

http://tinyurl.com/6xkoj

===

Senate to Likely Get Gonzales Nomination :

Republicans muscled Gonzales' nomination through the panel on a 10-8 party line vote and are expected to use their 55-44 advantage to confirm him there next week at the earliest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4757491,00.html

===

"Is this torture yet?" the agents ask:

They strap the three to boards that pivot head-down into a trough of swill and excrement keep them there until they are gagging and wild with panic of drowning lever them briefly up to air down again. Torture yet?
http://207.44.245.159/article7837.htm

===

British soldiers 'ordered to give Iraqis a good kicking' :

Former Sergeant Major Richard Jackson allegedly told the soldiers that it was policy at Camp Bread Basket near Basra to punish Iraqi thieves.
http://207.44.245.159/article7846.htm

===

Pepe Escobar : Vote or no vote, we will kill you :

The administration of George W Bush, has introduced to the world the concept of election at gunpoint. The guinea pig: Iraq, on January 30. The rules: candidates must be anonymous (otherwise they will be killed). Voters cannot go out and vote (otherwise they may be killed). Even if they wanted to vote, they wouldn't know where, because the location of the polling stations will be known only the night before the election.
http://207.44.245.159/article7847.htm

====

Report: The Iraqi election "bait and switch":

Faulty poll will not bring peace or US withdrawal.
http://207.44.245.159/article7841.htm

===

'The US is behaving as if every Sunni is a terrorist' :

For centuries they have comprised the ruling class, but since the fall of Saddam everything has changed for Iraq's Sunni Arabs. This weekend's elections are likely only to reinforce their disaffection
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1398464,00.html

===

Iraqis To Bush - What Have We Done To Deserve This? :

Despite Bush's endless hypocritical assertions about how we have brought freedom to Iraq, the truth is that almost all of the people in that country who have managed to survive the military attacks, have lost loved ones and had their lives ruined.
http://207.44.245.159/article7848.htm

===

Rosa Faiz: Next Stop on the Drive-By to Armageddon:

Why fuss about torture, when we murder innocents as a matter of daily routine
http://207.44.245.159/article7833.htm

===

Paul Craig Roberts: Does Bush Mean It?:

The Bush administration is not establishing any democracies. It is starting a war that will last a generation. That is the neocon plan. They have put their intentions in writing just as Hitler did. It is no protection that their plan is detached from reality. Robespierre was detached from reality, and that did not stop him. So were Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot.
http://207.44.245.159/article7840.htm

===

This web site represents the effort of one person.

I need your help to offset the costs associated with site hosting and bandwidth usage. If you find this site informative please help by clicking here
http://207.44.245.159/support.htm

===

Robert Scheer: 1600 Pennsylvania Meets Madison Ave.:

President Bush's inaugural speech was radical, if not downright bizarre, in its insistence that the United States can and will deliver freedom to Earth's more than 6 billion human residents. "If Bush means it literally, then it means we have an extremist in the White House," said Dimitri Simes, president of the Nixon Center.
http://207.44.245.159/article7842.htm

===

Audio: Seymour Hersh: "We've Been Taken Over by a Cult"

We hear a speech by Pulitzer-prize winning investigative reporter Seymour Hersh on torture from Guantanamo to Abu Ghraib to Vietnam.
http://207.44.245.159/article7849.htm

===

Turner Compares Fox's Popularity to Hitler ;

Ted Turner called Fox a propaganda tool of the Bush administration and indirectly compared Fox News Channel's popularity to Adolf Hitler's popular election to run Germany before World War II.
http://207.44.245.159/article7829.htm

===

It's The Pipelines, Stupid:

How to bring down a giant, one blood vessel at a time: "There is a clear understanding [on the part of Islamist groups] that if you want to hit America or the West, you go after oil, which is right in their backyard," says Luft. "They don't have to go all the way to New York and deal with the INS and FBI. The market today cannot sustain any loss of production or supply. Even if they take 10,000 barrels off the market, we feel this immediately."
http://www.nypress.com/18/4/news&columns/AlexanderZaitchik.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/427yn

=

India's US-Pakistan suspicions deepen:

Condoleezza Rice told senators that the administration of President George W Bush has a "contingency plan" to prevent "Islamic fundamentalists" from getting access to Pakistan's nuclear weapons if "something happened" to Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf and they succeeded in capturing power.
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/GA27Df05.html

===

How the U.S. Became the World's Dispensable Nation:

A new world order is indeed emerging - but its architecture is being drafted in Asia and Europe, at meetings to which Americans have not been invited.
http://207.44.245.159/article7838.htm

===

Picture;

A relative cries over the body of three year-old Palestinian girl, Rahma Al-shmasy, iin the family home on January 26, 2005 in Deir Al-Balah, Gaza Strip.
http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=52066373&cdi=0

http://tinyurl.com/3lwol

===

Three Year Old Girl Among Five Palestinians Killed By Israeli Occupation Forces:

Israeli soldiers manning an army watchtower at the nearby settlement of Kfar Dorom opened machinegun fire randomly on Palestinian homes around sunrise Wednesday.
http://www.albawaba.com/en/news/179331

===

Israel plans to raze more Gaza homes:

The Israeli army has renewed plans to demolish hundreds of Palestinian homes in Rafah at the southern edge of the Gaza Strip, according to the Israeli media.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/0B8E1585-9035-4BEC-A38F-4B58568EF966.htm

===

Video: Mosaic: World News Reports from Middle East TV For 01/25/05:

The nation's only uncensored compilation of daily television news reports from more than 15 countries in the Middle East. QuickTime Video.
http://tinyurl.com/65yru

===

After Israeli boycott, Columbia U. cancels meet on Mideast:

Columbia University President Lee Bollinger informed Israel's consul general in New York, Arie Meckel, on Wednesday that a university-sponsored conference, "Revisiting the Middle East Peace Process," scheduled to have taken place on Thursday, was postponed indefinitely.

===

Report: Iraqi police captured, and then released, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi:

A suicide bomber from Saudi Arabia, who survived a failed attempt to blow up the Jordanian mission Baghdad in December, alleges that Iraqi police may have captured, and then released, the most wanted terrorist in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, two months ago.
http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-01-24-voa25.cfm

===

"Transforming Islam into is the main neoconservative project":

Neoconservatives' endeavors to create a market economy version of Islam - bereft of its basic tenets - got a boost recently when Reverend James Schall, Professor of government at Georgetown University and a Jesuit priest, vigorously defended their efforts.
http://www.amperspective.com/html/revered_schall.html

===

Darfur: Never again?:

As the world prepares to commemorate Holocaust Day, crimes against humanity are still being committed in Darfur while diplomats bicker
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/africa/story.jsp?story=604617

===

My Husbands Moral Right To Choose Not To Kill:

My husband has laid down his gun to raise a far more powerful weapon . he has made his choice to raise his hand in peace.
http://207.44.245.159/article7844.htm

===

WARNING: Joining the Military Is Hazardous To...:

Military recruiters tour the country selling a dangerous product with glamorous ads, just like tobacco companies or drug pushers. The ads promise opportunity and adventure -- but don't believe the hype.
http://www.objector.org/before-you-enlist/hazardous.html

===

Dr. Teresa Whitehurst: The Intolerance of Christian Conservatives:

Making Tolerance a Sin; Intolerance a Virtue
http://207.44.245.159/article7845.htm

===

Jesse Jackson And Greg Palast: Black voters in United States disproportionally disenfranchised:

After taking his oath, the president called for a "concerted effort to promote democracy." The president should begin with the United States.
http://207.44.245.159/article7834.htm

===

$1.3 Trillion in Deficits Forecast Over Decade :

Cumulative total is 60% more than the estimates of just four months ago.
http://ktla.trb.com/news/nationworld/nation/ktla-012505budget_lat,0,7611733.story?coll=ktla-news-1

http://tinyurl.com/5afkj

===

The Idea That Brought Slavery to Its Knees:

In 1787, British abolitionists saw a link among all humankind.
http://citypages.com/databank/26/1260/article12879.asp

===

Everything You Know About Taxes is Wrong:

Johnston published the fruits of all that prize-winning reporting in his book Perfectly Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super Rich--and Cheat Everybody Else. A bestseller and the winner of a 2004 Investigative Reporters and Editors award, the book documents how, over the last three decades, the tax system has been twisted to subsidize the wealthiest 1 percent of the country.
http://citypages.com/databank/26/1260/article12879.asp

===
  Peace & Joy
         Tom Feeley
===
Liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among people." (August 1765) John Adams