[Media-watch] Fascist America

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 16:13:50 GMT 2005

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime: Ernest Hemingway

===

How many does it take to metamorphose wickedness into righteousness? One man must not kill. If he does, it is murder.... But a state or nation may kill as many as they please, and it is not murder. It is just, necessary, commendable, and right. Only get people enough to agree to it, and the butchery of myriads of human beings is perfectly innocent. But how many does it take?: Adin Ballou, The Non-Resistant, 5 February 1845

===

There have been periods of history in which episodes of terrible violence occurred but for which the word violence was never used.... Violence is shrouded in justifying myths that lend it moral legitimacy, and these myths for the most part kept people from recognizing the violence for what it was. The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of their act as violence; rather they thought of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness. The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed: ~Gil Bailie

===

Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace: Charles Sumner

===

Read this newsletter online http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

To help support ICH using PayPal click here. http://tinyurl.com/v1l8
Or if you prefer to send a check or money order, Tom, PO Box 365 Imperial Beach, CA 91933. USA.

To Unsubscribe see information at the base of this newsletter

To change your email address.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/subscribe.htm

RSS FEED
http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/informationclearinghouse/rss

===

Kennedy: Fascist America :

"The Republicans are 95 percent corrupt and the Democrats are 75 percent corrupt," Kennedy.

===

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Bush Inauguration Speech: A "Vacuous Sermon," A "Global Crusade" Against "Defenseless States"

===

Howard Zinn: Support Our Troops: Bring Them Home: We must withdraw our military from Iraq, the sooner the better. The reason is simple: Our presence there is a disaster for the American people and an even bigger disaster for the Iraqi people.

===

Seven, die in blasts, shooting:

Three teachers from an oil technical college and a mother and daughter were killed in a pair of roadside bombings around the refinery town of Baiji north of Baghdad, police said Sunday, while an Iraq soldier was also killed in an ambush east of Tikrit.
http://www.albawaba.com/en/news/179199

===

US soldier killed in Mosul:

Twenty US soldiers have died in Mosul since 21 December when a bomber blew himself up in an army mess hall, killing 22 people, including 14 US troops.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/59706E87-1D69-4E3F-931C-AFFFFF576CD5.htm

http://snipurl.com/c8cq

===

In Pictures: American Justice?:

Disturbing pictures appear to show an Iraqi man arrested and then executed by U.S. troops

===

Go home Yanks, says PM in waiting:

THE Shi'ite Muslim cleric tipped to become prime minister after next Sunday's election in Iraq has said it will be the duty of the new government to demand the withdrawal of American forces "as soon as possible".

===

3 Years For Murder: U.S. Soldier Sentenced in Iraqi's Killing:

 A U.S. military court found a 1st Cavalry Division soldier guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an Iraqi translator and sentenced him to three years in prison, reduction in rank and a bad conduct discharge.
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/breaking_news/10710138.htm

http://snipurl.com/c8cv

===

In One Night, Iraqi Turns From Friend to Foe :

By all accounts, Imaad, 32, was a typical, mild-mannered college graduate who spoke English well and had quietly supported the U.S. presence in Iraq -- until Jan. 5, the night the soldiers came.

===

Baghdad residents face water crisis:

Most of the Iraqi capital - particularly the western districts - has been without water for the past seven days.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/CF37A1C0-C838-4B87-BD73-E2604EAD90AF.htm

http://snipurl.com/c8cw

===

Riverbend: Iraqi Girl Blog: Bleak Eid...

I'm sure people outside of the country are shaking their heads at the words 'collective punishment'. "No, Riverbend," they are saying, "That's impossible." But anything is possible these days. People in many areas are being told that if they don't vote- Sunnis and Shia alike- the food and supply rations we are supposed to get monthly will be cut off.
http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2005_01_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#110640049776566608

http://snipurl.com/c8dg

===

The Invasion of Falluja: A Study in the Subversion of Truth :

Falluja should go down in history as a case study on how truth is subverted, co-opted, buried, and ignored. The first US-led siege of Falluja, a city of 300,000 people, resulted in a defeat for Coalition forces.

===

Report: U.S. can't win Iraq war:

An analysis of a U.S. newspaper group concludes the United States is headed toward defeat in the Iraqi war.
http://washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20050122-094419-5388r.htm

===

Did George Bush Write Zarqawi Speech?:

Al-Zarqawi Said to Declare 'Fierce War': The speaker said democracy was based on un-Islamic beliefs and behaviors such as freedom of religion, rule of the people, freedom of expression, separation of religion and state, forming political parties and majority rule.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=435225

===

Iraqi interior minister refuses to say whether terror chief is in custody :

''I wouldn't like to comment for the time being,'' Interior Minister Falah al-Naqib said when asked about rumors that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi had been arrested. ''Let's see. Maybe in the next few days we will make a comment about it.''
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/022/world/Iraqi_interior_minister_refuse:.shtml

http://snipurl.com/c8cz

===

UK: Army faces new claims over Iraq brutality :

Lawyers weigh charges over nine fresh allegations as government faces demands for full public inquiry
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1396626,00.html

http://snipurl.com/c8d1

===

Voices from Abu Ghraib:

The following is excerpted testimony from a videotaped deposition of Hussein Mutar, entered into evidence by the prosecution in the court martial of Spc. Charles Graner.
http://www.counterpunch.com/torture01202005.html

===

Abuse at Guantanamo hasn't stopped, say Kuwaiti prisoners :

Eleven Kuwaiti prisoners held by American forces at the prison at the Guantanamo Bay naval base show signs of poor diet and physical and psychological abuse, and are held in conditions "worse than those for the worst convicted murderers or rapists in the United States,".
http://www.kuwaittimes.net/today/localNews_s3.php

===

Bush appoints a fox to guard henhouse again:

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice helpfully explained it all for us. The problem is that we are living in an alternative reality. What we think we know is not true. - The president has condemned torture, so what else is there to say? - Secretary Rice also condemns it, so why raise questions about the fact that she wrote a letter to get an anti-torture clause in the intelligence appropriation bill taken out?
http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1044113&t=Opinion&c=22,1044113

http://snipurl.com/c8d3

===

End of Iraq's nightmare ... or the start :

Violence threatens to plunge the country into civil war as the beleaguered Sunni minority prepares to boycott this month's polls
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1396502,00.html

http://snipurl.com/c8d4

===

Secret unit expands Rumsfeld's domain:

The Pentagon, expanding into the CIA's historic bailiwick, has created a new espionage arm and is reinterpreting U.S. law to give Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld broad authority over clandestine operations abroad, according to interviews with participants and documents obtained by The Washington Post.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6856550/

===

King George: The USA on the road to new depths of ugliness and brutality:

Uri Avnery reflects on the symbiotic relationship between the USA and Israel - mutual colonies of one another - and on the coronation of George Bush, "a very simple, very violent person with very extreme views, as well as being very much an ignoramus". He warns that, in Bush's second term, the USA "may reach new depths of ugliness and brutality".
http://www.redress.btinternet.co.uk/uavnery113.htm

===

British dossier argues against a military strike on Iran :

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has drawn up a report stating Britain's case against a military strike on Iran. According to media reports, in his 200 page dossier Straw argues against an attack on Iran amidst rising fears that President Bush may seek support for this new conflict.
http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=6835

http://snipurl.com/c8d5

===

Israeli joker in the Iranian poker game :

Cheney refrained from talking about Israeli nuclear capability. Had he done otherwise, he would have implicitly raised the question of why Iran is forbidden to do what Israel is allowed to do

===

In case you missed it:

Next year in Tehran:

For the past three years the central war game of the U.S. armed forces has been centered on Iran. But what exactly will await them there, even they do not purport to know.
http://www.w3ar.com/a.php?k=1302

===

In case you missed it;

Redefining combat:

Current operations shape Army wargame: Among the hard lessons the U.S. Army is learning in Iraq is that the line between "major combat" and "stability operations" is blurred, at best, and that the enemy gets to decide when the war is finally over.
http://www.tradoc.army.mil/pao/Web_specials/UQ04/NatlDef1.htm

===

Gov't decision strips Palestinians of Jerusalem lands :

The law means that thousands of Palestinians who live in the West Bank will lose ownership of their property in East Jerusalem.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArtVty.jhtml?sw=jerusalem&itemNo=530407

http://snipurl.com/c8d7

===

Bush forces UN refugee chief to go :

The Bush administration has blocked the reappointment of the United Nations's Palestinian refugee agency chief, Peter Hansen, after a campaign by conservative and Jewish groups in the United States, and the government in Jerusalem which accused him of being an "Israel hater".
http://snipurl.com/c8dh

===

This web site represents the effort of one person.

I need your help to offset the costs associated with site hosting and bandwidth usage. If you find this site informative please help by clicking here
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/support.htm

===

Kennedy: Fascist America :

"The Republicans are 95 percent corrupt and the Democrats are 75 percent corrupt," Kennedy.

===

Ultra-secret troops poised at inaugural :

These elite forces were deployed under a 1997 authorization that was updated and enhanced after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, but it nonetheless departs from how the military has historically been used on American soil.

===

Supreme Court is key to new Bush term:

The clearest pointer to the course of the second Bush administration at last week's inauguration was not the soaring presidential pledge to end global tyranny - a mismatch between rhetoric and reality if every there was one.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=603726

http://snipurl.com/c8da

===

Jazz Funeral bfor Democracy - New Orleans, January 20, 2004 :

As George Bush placed his left hand on a bible to purger himself on the steps of our nation's capital, fifteen hundred mourners took to the streets of New Orleans in upbeat defiance in the Jazz Funeral for Democracy: "A Wake for Peace".
http://www.traprockpeace.org/jazz_funeral_20jan05/

===

Schwarzenegger 'damages Austria' :

Arnold Schwarzenegger's Austrian citizenship should be ended over the execution of a convicted killer in the US, a politician in Austria has said.

===

Report of the National Intelligence Council's 2020 Project:

Based on consultations with nongovernmental experts around the world. .pdf format
http://www.foia.cia.gov/2020/2020.pdf

===

News for 01/22/05 here
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/#01-22-05

===

Peace & Joy
    Tom Feeley

===
Liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among people." (August 1765) John Adams