[Media-watch] Information Clearing House

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 28 12:57:08 GMT 2004

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own: Aldous Huxley - English novelist and critic, 1894-1963

=

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity: George Bernard Shaw

===

To help support ICH using PayPal click here. http://tinyurl.com/v1l8
Or if you prefer to send a check or money order, Tom, PO Box 365 Imperial Beach, CA 91933. USA.

To Unsubscribe see information at the base of this newsletter

To change your email address.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/subscribe.htm

RSS FEED
http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/informationclearinghouse/rss

===

Israel's Secret Weapon

Broadcast on BBC Two on Monday, 17 March, 2003

This film is the story of the bomb, Vanunu and Israel's wall of silence.

Click here to watch it online.
http://207.44.245.159/article6558.htm

===

History will show U.S. lusted after oil

Linda McQuaig

A year-and-a-half into the U.S. occupation of Iraq, with the carnage over there spiraling ever more out of control, don't expect media discussions of Iraq to stray much beyond the issue of "fighting terrorism."
http://207.44.245.159/article7555.htm

===

Attack on Iraqi Shiite leader kills 13 as Sunni party boycotts vote:

Thirteen people were killed when a suicide bomber attacked the headquarters of a top Iraqi Shiite political leader, while the country's main Sunni Muslim party announced a boycott of next month's crucial elections.
http://www.turkishpress.com/world/news.asp?id=041227144627.bvzoykto.xml

http://snipurl.com/bm8x

===

US soldier among 12 dead in Iraq violence:

 Four Iraqi national guards, three officers killed in Samarra, four people killed in clashes between rebels, US troops near Baiji.
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=12273

===

Five shot dead in Iraq:

Anti occupation foces shot dead five men in the restive Iraqi city of Ramadi overnight and left their corpses in the street with a handwritten note identifying them as police, witnesses said.
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11794703%255E1702,00.html

http://snipurl.com/bm90

===

Resistance fighter, family killed in accidental bomb explosion:

An insurgent accidentally has killed himself and four members of his family in Iraq's southern city of Karbala.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1272701.htm

===

Sunni party pulls out of Iraqi election:

The largest Sunni Muslim political party is pulling out of next month's Iraqi elections -- dealing a blow to U-S hopes for credibility at the polls.
http://news.bostonherald.com/international/view.bg?articleid=60635

http://snipurl.com/bm92

===

Video of Mosul suicide bombing :

``Let Bush, Blair and Allawi know that we are coming and that we will chase them all away.

Windows media.
http://207.44.245.159/article7554.htm

===

Poll shows troops in support of war :

Sixty-three percent of respondents approve of the way President Bush is handling the war, and 60% remain convinced it is a war worth fighting. Support for the war is even greater among those who have served longest in the combat zone: Two-thirds of combat vets say the war is worth fighting.
http://snipurl.com/bm93

===

Injured Soldier Critical of War in Iraq:

"There's a lot of people that don't think we should be there ... like my unit," Herrera says. "We're not doing good out there. We're just soldiers dying left and right."
http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=2735469&nav=0w0vUZ5H

===

Mortuary Unit in Iraq Trying on Marines :

These Marines must cope with one of the most psychologically punishing but unavoidable tasks of war.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4696472,00.html

===

Soldier recalls pain of being shot in Iraq :

Olson lost hostile fire and combat pay he would've received if he was in Iraq. He's not sure how much money he's losing, but it's up to $1,000 a month, Olson said.
http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?CMN/Local/read.mv+20041227035725+2+

http://snipurl.com/bm96

===

Bin Laden endorses al-Zarqawi as his deputy in Iraq
http://news.bostonherald.com/international/view.bg?articleid=60636

===

Patrick J. Buchanan :

'Staying the Course' Won't Do : For some of Bush's countrymen, there is a sense of having been had, of having been made victim to one of the great bait-and-switches in the history of warfare.
http://207.44.245.159/artice7556.htm

===

The US falls for the Soviet trap in Iraq:

The record of the US-led occupation of Iraq appears to be somewhat worse. An assessment over the past 20 months clearly reveals that proportionally the US has caused more damage to Iraq and its people and has incurred more human and material costs than the Soviets did in Afghanistan.
http://207.44.245.159/article7557.htm

===

Naomi Klein : Yes, you must pull out - but also pay for the damage :

The US isn't protecting or feeding Iraqis, it's stoking violence and hardship
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1379892,00.html

http://snipurl.com/bm99

===

Shopping for War:

You might think that the debacle in Iraq would be enough for the Pentagon, that it would not be in the mood to seek out new routes to unnecessary wars for the United States to fight. But with Donald Rumsfeld at the apex of the defense establishment, enough is never enough.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/27/opinion/27herbert.html?ex=1261890000&en=2170fed723321962&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

http://snipurl.com/bm9a

===

Tales Of Torture and The American Dream :

I'd been a reporter for twenty-five years and considered myself a professional skeptic, yet I'd been duped. I consoled myself with the thought that I was in good company. If I'd been duped, so had the Pentagon, the Coalition Provisional Authority, and one of the nation's most esteemed newspapers.
http://snipurl.com/bm9d

===

American gulag? :

FBI documents make Guantanamo Bay seem not much different than Abu Ghraib
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=317690&category=OPINION&BCCode=&newsdate=12/26/2004

http://snipurl.com/bm9e

===

Alberto Gonzales :

Hispanics can do better than 'yes man': Many of these Latino organizations will refuse to utilize their reasoning skills and will support and defend Gonzales just because he is a Latino
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2962671

http://snipurl.com/bm9h

===

The Right's Assault on Kofi Annan:

The neoconservative and paleoconservative assault on him and the UN has been like a slightly slower version of the Swift Boat veterans' campaign against Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry--right down to the halfhearted and belated disavowals by George W. Bush.
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20050110&s=williams

===

China Expands. Europe Rises. And the United States . . .:

The signposts, at the end of this year, are ominous. As an economic power, the United States no longer sets the rules, much less rule the game.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/26/weekinreview/26kapl.html?ex=1261803600&en=a06690fdf89ff4eb&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

http://snipurl.com/bm9j

===

Russia and China to Hold Joint Maneuvers :

Russia and China are set to hold unprecedented joint military maneuvers on Chinese territory next year involving both nations' air forces and navies, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said in the Kremlin on Monday.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4695831,00.html

===

Ukraine minister found shot dead  :

Mr Kyrpa, 58, appointed in 2002, was a staunch supporter of Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych.

===

Opposition Win Could Open Ukraine for Investment:

Liberal opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko's victory in Ukraine's election will help revive reforms, improve the business climate and put the former Soviet state on foreign investors' maps after years of neglect.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=7185063

===

Uzbekistan: International Observers Say Vote Fell Short Of Standards
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2004/12/9FBB2F11-BAB6-4C7B-BF81-E6D8DB116BB1.html

http://snipurl.com/bm9m

===

Syria slams Israel for not replying to peace offer:

Syrian Vice President says US regards Palestinian resistance in occupied territories as terrorism.
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=12274

===

Zionists Do Not Represent Jews:

>From the inception of the Zionist State and particularly in recent times, the impression has been created in the World that there is some connection between the State, which falsely calls itself Israel, and the Jewish people as a whole.
http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/zionism/notjews.cfm

===

Blair ally in African coup plot:

FORMER British cabinet minister Peter Mandelson, a close friend of Tony Blair, is the latest high-profile figure implicated in the foiled plot to overthrow the president of oil-rich Equatorial Guinea.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11788796%255E2703,00.html

http://snipurl.com/bm9n

===

Helen Thomas: Bush wants to break promise of Social Security:

President Bush is proposing to erode the Social Security system by privatizing part of it, making Wall Street the big winner of a huge financial windfall.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/205166_thomas26.html

===

Gov. Bush considers privatizing some welfare assistance program:

More than 2.3 million of the state's poorest citizens may have decisions on their Medicaid eligibility and other welfare assistance programs made by a company if Gov. Jeb Bush decides to award a $700 million program to the private sector.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1226privatizingwelfare,0,3690108.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

http://snipurl.com/bm9o

===

Tsunami death toll may exceed 50,000:

At least 23,700 people have now been killed by Sunday's giant tsunami in southern Asia, according to the International Red Cross, amid signs the final toll could top 50,000.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/1638C75C-74D3-444D-BE54-70678D87CA14.htm

===

30 000 missing on Indian islands:

30 000 people are missing after five villages in the archipelago were swept away by a tsunami, district official GC Gupta said on Monday.
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1640471,00.html

http://snipurl.com/bm9q

===

Neo-fascism in America :

 Too many people believe fascism is only about goose-stepping, jack-booted Nazis. Too many people believe that American democracy is so strong that fascists could never take control of America. If you are sympathetic to those views, I invite you to consider the possibility that you are mistaken.
http://207.44.245.159/article7553.htm

===

Dissent is not disloyal: `

Can an American who wants the United States to lose the war in Iraq be patriotic?'
http://207.44.245.159/article7551.htm

===
Liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among people." (August 1765) John Adams