[Media-watch] Iraq on the record database - Bush administration's misleading statements

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 13:23:20 BST 2004

Dear all,

I don't recall seeing this sent to Mediawatch. I'm posting it as it could be
a useful resource for fact-checking. Apologies to anyone who may have seen
it before.

Regards

Julie-ann

________________

Iraq on the Record

On March 19, 2003, U.S. forces began military operations in Iraq. Addressing
the nation about the purpose of the war on the day the bombing began,
President Bush stated: "The people of the United States and our friends and
allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the
peace with weapons of mass murder." One year later, many doubts have been
raised regarding the Administration's assertions about the threat posed by
Iraq.
Prepared at the direction of Rep. Henry A. Waxman, the Iraq on the Record
Database is a searchable collection of 237 specific misleading statements
about the threat posed by Iraq made by the five Administration officials
most responsible for providing public information and shaping public opinion
on Iraq: President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Defense Secretary Rumsfeld,
Secretary of State Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice.The Iraq on
the Record Report is a comprehensive examination of these statements.

Searchable database is at:
http://www.house.gov/reform/min/features/iraq_on_the_record/

Pdf is available at:
http://www.house.gov/reform/min/pdfs_108_2/pdfs_inves/pdf_admin_iraq_on_the_record_rep.pdf