[Media-watch] chemical factory disinformation

Mark Priestley m.r.priestley at stir.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 06:45:05 GMT 2003

Thanks for this, David - I was thinking of writing to Mr Sambrook anyway,
and this has prompted me. My letter follows:

Dear Richard

At the weekend BBC news bulletins reported that US troops had discovered a
chemical weapons factory. It is noticeable that this story quietly
disappeared from the media, as subsequent Pentagon reports poured cold water
on the story; in fact it was quickly found that the factory has been long
abandoned.

I am concerned that the BBC reported this 'find' so categorically, and that
there has been no follow up story (to my knowledge) confirming that the
initial reporting was wrong. Such inaccurate reporting is dangerous in that
it creates a post-hoc justification for a war which is still opposed by
many. I also believe that it has a cumulative effect on public opinion,
which has been shown to be be shifting in favour of war; as I have said
before, it appears that, whether wittingly or not, the BBC is doing the
government's proaganda job. People remember the initial story, and this
confirms in their minds the primary justification for war, namely that Iraq
possesses weapons of mass destruction; a 'fact' that is far from proven.

I would welcome your comments.

Yours sincerely,
Mark Priestley