[Media-watch] Cold Type strikes again

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Fri Apr 11 01:50:23 BST 2003

Latest from  COLDTYPE.NET

WORDS AGAINST WAR / John Pilger

We see too much. We know too much
"We now glimpse the forbidden truths of the invasion of Iraq. A man cuddles
the body of his infant daughter; her blood drenches them. A woman in black
pursues a tank, her arms outstretched; all seven in her family are dead. An
American Marine murders a woman because she happens to be standing next to a
man in a uniform. ³I¹m sorry,¹¹ he says, ³but the chick got in the way."

Read John Pilger at http://www.coldtype.net/pilger.html

MEDIABEAT / Norman Solomon

A lethal way to 'dispatch' the news
"In times of war, journalists can serve as vital witnesses for the people of
the world. So it's especially sinister when governments take aim at
reporters and photographers. A few weeks ago, when I was talking with a CNN
cameraman, he recalled an overseas stint to cover events in the West Bank.
Anger was evident in his voice: "The Israelis were shooting at us." "

Read Norman Solomon at http://www.coldtype.net/mediabeat.html

LONDON CALLING / George Monbiot

Chemical hypocrites
"When Saddam Hussein so pig-headedly failed to shower US troops with
chemical weapons as they entered Iraq, thus depriving them of a
retrospective justification for this war, the American generals explained
that he would do so as soon as they crossed the ³red line² around Baghdad.
Beyond that point, the desperate dictator would lash out with every weapon
he possessed.
Well, the line has been crossed and recrossed, and not a whiff of mustard
gas or VX has so far been detected. This could mean one of three things:
Saddam¹s command system may have broken down (he may be dead, or his troops
might have failed to receive or respond to his orders); he is refraining, so
far, from using chemical weapons; or he does not possess them."

Read George Monbiot at http://www.coldtype.net/London.html

DEADLINE BAGHDAD / Robert Fisk

War is about the failure of the human spirit
"It was a scene from the Crimean War; a hospital of screaming wounded and
floors running with blood. I stepped in the stuff; it stuck to my shoes, to
the clothes of all the doctors in the packed emergency room, it swamped the
passageways and the blankets and sheets."

Read Robert Fisk's evocative daily reports for London's Independent at
http://www.coldtype.net/baghdad.html

CRITICAL MASS / Antonia Zerbisias

Save me from the fog of US war coverage
"If there were a 10-metre statue of CNN¹s Paula Zahn, I¹d be the first to
throw a rope around its neck and topple it.
Not to pick on her in particular, okay?"

Read Amtonia Zerbisias's thrice-weekly reports on the media at war at
http://www.coldtype.net/azerb.html

Plus:

E-BOOKS / PHOTO-ESSAYS / COLDTYPE & NINE ON TEN MAGAZINES / AND MUCH MORE
ALL PDF DOWNLOADS - ALL FREE  all at: http://www.coldtype.net/