[Media-watch] Diving for perles

John Meed johnmeed at britishlibrary.net
Fri Apr 4 21:04:46 BST 2003

Dear Mediawatch

This link goes to the horse's mouth for Richard Perle's current views on
Iraq, and it's not a nice place to be!

http://www.newamericancentury.org/iraq-022403.htm

One of the more alarming paragraphs (there's lots to choose from) is this:

'But there's a second French attitude that I think we have to come to grips
with and understand and that is the desire on the part of France to build
the European Union as a counterweight to the United States. Counterweight is
the term most frequently employed by the French, by Chris Patten in Brussels
and by others. For a long time the United States and France have been
allies. Good allies. Vital to each other's security at many times in our
history and never in the period in which we were allies who supported one
another did either of us think of describing the other as a counterweight. A
relationship that can be described by the term counterweight is not a
relationship of alliance.'

Regards

John Meed