[Media-watch] FW: thinktv release form

Liz Curtis liz at irish-media.com
Wed Apr 2 21:33:13 BST 2003

My note to Tim Gopsill, editor of the NUJ magazine. Liz
----------

Hi Tim,

Just to say I went into Channel 4's much-advertised thinktv site hoping to
praise Channel Four News's coverage of the war on Iraq, and specifically
Lindsay Hilsum, but once I had filled in the boxes I discovered that for the
comments to be forwarded, you have to sign a release form which seems
totally OTT to me. If you don't tick the box, your comments go nowhere. If
you have a moment, could you run the form by your colleagues?

Thanks very much.

Liz

I have read and fully understand the release form and agree to its terms and
conditions specified on the right:
By ticking the "I Accept the release form and its associated terms and
conditions" checkbox, you confirm that you have fully read, understood and
accepted the terms and conditions under which you are submitting your
"contribution" (your comment together with any other materials that you
supply to Channel 4 in connection with the submission of your comment) to
Channel Four Television Corporation.
     Submit your comment

To ensure that we are allowed to use your contribution on the site and on
TV, please read the following release form, then click the checkbox at the
bottom of the main form to continue:

 In consideration of Channel Four Television Corporation ("Channel 4")
agreeing that I may contribute to and participate in the Website/ Forum
(which I acknowledge to be adequate consideration), I hereby consent to the
storage, reproduction, transmission and/ or live relay of the written and/
or audio-visual comments and all other materials submitted by me to Channel
4 ("contribution") on and in connection with ThinkTV and hereby give all
consents necessary for the reproduction, publication, exhibition, broadcast,
transmission and exploitation of the contribution without time limit
throughout the universe by all means and media (whether now known or
hereafter discovered or developed) without liability or acknowledgement to
me.

Channel 4 shall be entitled to cut and edit the contribution as it deems fit
and it shall not be obliged to include all or any of the contribution in any
programme or website.