[Media-watch] Toronto Calling

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Wed Apr 2 20:12:01 BST 2003

Capitalism strikes back:

1. Toronto has a very strong anti-war presence (almost totally ignored by
the press) each weekend, with thousands of families protesting the US/Brit
attack on Iraq. Volunteers wade through the crowd with large buckets seeking
small donations . . . .

2. Canada's Liberal government has refused to endorse the war, angering the
Opposition, the US Ambassador, Big Business and the Ontario Conservative
government. All are worried about potential business losses if Big Brother
down south gets too upset by our government's show of independence, which is
supported by the majority of the population . . . .

3. Now the pro-war faction is becoming involved. No little old ladies with
buckets of pennies for them - their lunchtime protest outside City Hall this
Friday is heralded with half- and full-page ads in the Toronto media this
morning. Cost, I would assume, must run into several thousand dollars.
Wonder who's footing the bill . . . .

4. We can assume the newspapers will be carrying the story - they won't want
to upset the advertisers . . .

5. Watch this space .  . .

Tony Sutton