[Media-watch] Panaroma Programme

jane herbstritt jherbstritt at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:55:12 BST 2003

I sent this to the comments page on the Panarama website, but does anyone
have the email of anyone involved in the making of this programme, so that I
can send it direct to them?  I would like a reply from someone if possible.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I watched your programme on the British occupation in Basra with interest.
I gained some interesting insights into what it must be like for the Iraqi
people living under British occupation, and the programme had some objective
moments, but on the whole I found it both biased and racist.

Throughout the programme, the Iraqi people were portrayed as children
'leaderless and afraid' and powerless to help themselves.  The film showed
the British soldiers treating the Iraqis like children: 'naughty children'
caught looting and pillaging, or 'good' children who proclaimed that they
wanted the soldiers to stay because the 'old leaders' were no good and they
were afraid of them.  As far as I could see, the soldiers did not have any
translators, and were relying on the Iraqis to fumble along in basic English
in order to make their needs clear.  The film did not challenge the
soldier's attitude, they only re-affirmed it.  Only 2 Iraqis were portrayed
in a good light.  The first was a rich, white man who had lost 10 of his
relatives in a missile attack meant for Ba'ath party members in the house
next door.  Despite losing many of his family, the man was portrayed as
wanting to make the best out of a bad situation.  The letter he had sent
demanding compensation from Tony Blair was mentioned only in passing.

The second example was an Iraqi man who spoke towards the end of the film.
He was the first to express the ambivalence that I think it is likely many
Iraqis feel about the occupation: that they are glad Saddam has gone, but
they are unhappy about the British troops being there especially as they are
not adaquately filling the power vacuum, and as Basra continues to be
without water or electricity.  However, this man was the exception in an
hour-long documentary.  Those involved in writing this documentary did not
question why so many Iraqis appeared to be so grateful that the British had
come in and occupied their city (if you were asked these things by a man
pointing a gun at you, how would you respond?)...and the journalist asked no
hard questions to the generals responsible for 'keeping order' in Basra.

I also object to the use of the nickname 'Chemical Ali'.  I do not dispute
that this man gave orders to gas thousands of Kurds in the eighties, or that
he is/was a despicable man.  But to give the man a name like a character out
of a comic book, is to degrade the Iraqi people and to make this war against
REAL people, seem less real.  Besides, if we are trying to be 'objective'
about this, should we not always refer to Tony Blair as 'Blair the Bomber'
or refer to George Bush as Bush a.k.a 'Petrolhead' ?

Finally, I would like to complain about the journalists' comparison of Iraq
under Saddam Hussein as equivalent to Germany under the Nazis.  Yes, Saddam
and Hitler were both hideous dictators.  Yes, they both killed thousands of
their own people.  However, the allied troops fought against Hitler because
he was invading other countries and was a real threat to many European
nations.  The INVASION of Iraq took place after 11 years of sanctions had
decimated a country, starved its people, destroyed its infrastructure, and
after weapons inspectors had removed most of the regime's weapons.  Britain
and America INVADED Iraq.  100 British and American soldiers have been
killed total.  Thousands of Iraqis have been killed.  In the Second World
War thousands were killed on both sides.  To compare Saddam's Regime to
Hitler's is to make war propaganda!

On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone http://www.msn.co.uk/mobile