[Face-research-list] Hello and new paper

Peter Hancock p.j.b.hancock at stir.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 21:55:04 GMT 2011

So, we've just reached our 100th member, welcome! That many introductions might be a bit much.   I'm not sure off hand how to do  a searchable site, but it can't be that hard; google probably has something.

Meanwhile, I've a paper just accepted in Perception:

Adaptation may cause some of the face caricature effect

One of the ways to demonstrate a caricature preference is to ask participants to adjust a face image over a range from anti-caricature to caricature until it shows the best likeness to a specific individual. Since facial adaptation, whereby exposure to a face influences subsequent perception of faces, is rapid, it is possible that adaptation promotes the selection of a caricatured image. We tested whether giving participants a reference average face image, to counteract any adaptation, would reduce the degree of caricature selected for famous faces. Results confirmed a significant decrease, but even without an average, participants chose an anti-caricatured image. These data suggest a role for adaptation in generating caricature preferences while also suggesting such preferences are not inevitable.

Author postprint version available via http://hdl.handle.net/1893/2732

Following from Andy's kind reference to the Riby & Hancock paper, if anyone can't see Neuropsychologia, the paper is also in our repository: http://hdl.handle.net/1893/468

Peter

Peter Hancock
Professor
Psychology, School of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
FK9 4LA, UK
phone 01786 467675
fax 01786 467641
http://www.psychology.stir.ac.uk/staff/phancock

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,