[Face-research-list] WANTED: Pictures of facial expressions in younger children

Andreas Johnen a.johnen at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jun 15 16:32:02 BST 2011

Hi all,

first of all a short introduction since this is my first post in this
list. My name is Andreas Johnen and I work as a research assistant (PhD
Student) at the Institute for Forensic Psychiatry at the LVR Clinics in
Essen / Germany. We are currently planning an fMRI study on the neural
basis of implicit emotional processing in forensic patients. Ultimately
we want to study emotional empathy in delinquents and especially  in
convicted child molesters but a paradigm with facial expressions seems
like a good start to research group differences in neural emotion
processing. Thus, especially emotional processing of children's facial
expressions is of interest to us.

For this aim we are looking for a database (or anything really) that
provides facial expressions (preferably the 5 basic emotions, but at
least neutral, happy, sad) of children, preferably prepubescent children
(age 9-14). The Radboud Face Database provides 9 children models,
however these models appear to be either post-pubescent or in puberty.
Since I already  searched Databases around the web and also in
publications unsuccesfully, anything can be helpful. If anyone knows
somebody who has studied children's faces and facial expressions in
children, differences between processing of children and adult faces, or
if you can give me any hint on where to look for or who to contact it is
much appreciated.

Besides that, if anyone is interested in our research, please feel free
to contact me for more information, possible cooperations or just simply
out of interest.
Thanks in advance for your input and best regards,

-Andy

--
Dipl. Psych. Andreas Johnen
Institut für forensische Psychiatrie/LVR-Klinikum Essen
eMail: a.johnen at uni-muenster.de
Tel: 0201 / 7227103