[BERG] BERG today! (5.30pm 8th April)

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Wed Apr 8 15:27:25 BST 2020

Dear BERGers

Microsoft Teams

Teams – please do NOT Accept or Decline BERG, or be Tentative!. Happy to wait to see who shows up! (Important - if you are “external” you are very welcome but do let me know so I can invite you separately).

BERG - Privacy awareness issues with video conferencing

There’s probably a UoS document out there somewhere that says all this…..but here is my version delivered direct to your inbox.

The “Teams” video conferencing is the method that the University of Stirling, and many other organisations, use. I am assured it is end-to-end encrypted, and safe. (Unlike Zoom potentially– see "Zoom as Malware<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/02/zoom-technology-security-coronavirus-video-conferencing>" and recent University correspondence).

However, Teams still has some potentially very serious issue on privacy. I feel it is important we are aware of this new method of communication, and the potential consequences of its use. I leave it up to you to decide whether you want to be a virtual BERGer or await days when we are free again to enjoy the Psychology common room together again.

Privacy! We must be aware of what we are doing.

Video recording: I would never record a BERG meeting without informing you all in advance.

Photos: Anyone who can see your computer screen can take a photo/screen shot at any time. We must be aware of this. We have options, and each individual can choose their own response:

  *   If you do not want your face to be seen, use audio only (with no photo, or a photo of your choosing – you upload in your Microsoft Teams profile).

  *   If you allow Teams to access the video on your computer/phone, you have to trust us not to take photos without express permission (generally on the count of 1,2,3 say cheese/thumbs up etc!). Apart from being caught in an awful facial expression, I don’t think there is anything else we are doing that would compromise us. We do not share confidential or sensitive information during BERG.

  *   Please also be aware that we can see where you are – i.e. usually now we see into your home. Therefore think about what we can see in the background. Do you have an original Edwin Landseer<https://www.wikiart.org/en/edwin-henry-landseer/brazilian-marmosets-1842> on your wall that someone might see and target you for a burglary? I wish.

             Audio:

  *   Anyone who is around you can hear you on the call, and if you are not wearing a headset they can hear us too. We do not know who is around so beware who you speak about (e.g. in ways you would not be happy for the person you are talking about to hear!). Sometimes we can see other people around you and hear them. Please make those around you aware of this (or mute your microphone when you are not speaking).

  *   Please use a headset if you have young kids around (this is in your control and safer than telling us to watch our language or topics of conversation). Or please go somewhere private. We have options – you choose what works for your situation.

I think all these issues have solutions. I shall try to remind everyone to be aware at the beginning of each video call. Or you remind me, please!

Hope to see some of you later, and please suggest edits/additions to this message as other issues arise. I’m learning!

 Hannah

Hannah M. Buchanan-Smith
Professor, Behaviour and Evolution Research Group (BERG)

Psychology, Faculty of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA
Scotland