[BERG] FW: Dinner with Vicky Melfi, Thursday 3rd October

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 09:05:45 BST 2019

Dear BERGers (sorry for cross postings)
Prof Vicky Melfi  is coming to give us a seminar in Stirling on<x-apple-data-detectors://0> Thursday 3<x-apple-data-detectors://0>rd<x-apple-data-detectors://0> October, 4pm<x-apple-data-detectors://0> in 3A94. Her presentation is being generously sponsored by the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW – see https://www.ufaw.org.uk/ )

We shall be going for dinner afterwards.

I have booked the Meadowpark pub for up to 20 people for 6.15pm. We already have 16 folk booked. As you know it’s a 10 minute walk from the University so no transport difficulties as we shall walk.   https://www.themeadowparkstirling.co.uk/

Because I anticipate we shall be a large group, they have requested we sign up for our dinner choices in advance (it is £18 for two courses).

Please be quick and book your place by sending me your menu choice from attached menu

I cannot amend the booking after 10am on Monday 30 September so that is your absolute deadline if you want to come.

It should be a good night!

Best, Hannah

Vicky has just co-edited this book (e-book is free from the Uni library).
Hosey, G. (ed.) & Melfi<https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/victoria-melfi>, V. (ed.)<https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/victoria-melfi> 2018 Anthrozoology<https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/anthrozoology-human-animal-interactions-in-domesticated-and-wild->: human-animal interactions in domesticated and wild <https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/anthrozoology-human-animal-interactions-in-domesticated-and-wild-> animals<https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/anthrozoology-human-animal-interactions-in-domesticated-and-wild->, Oxford <https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/victoria-melfi/publications/> University Press<https://hartpury.pure.elsevier.com/en/persons/victoria-melfi/publications/>.
Her seminar title is - Human-animal interactions: considering animal welfare in the Anthropocene
We are currently living in the Anthropocene: a time defined by the disproportionate impact humans are having on the Earth.  Currently human’s impact the future of the Earth to a greater extent than any other factor, including biological and/or geological processes.  It is no surprise then, that humans impact the lives of animals.
As a society it seems we are becoming increasingly aware that the lives of humans are inextricably linked with the lives of animals, directly and indirectly.  The discipline of Anthrozoology strives to study human-animal interactions (HAI), relationships and bonds providing us with much needed empirical evidence to understand the impact we as humans have on animals and vice versa.
Human impact on animal welfare is diverse, encompassing those animals in human-care but also those where HAI might never occur.  The type of impact humans have on animals is often depicted through a negative lens, but this talk will highlight the great capacity which exists for humans to benefit animal welfare.  In the shadow of an often depressing monologue of doom and gloom that highlights how humans are responsible for causing animal welfare insults a plenty, it is time and necessary to refocus.  There are many ways in which humans are supporting and improving the welfare of animals.  Importantly, it is only with an optimistic outlook that we will be able to truly plan and implement change to ensure good animal welfare on a global scale.  When living in the Anthropocene the one thing we can sure of, is that human impact is global, so let’s ensure that global impact is positive.