[BERG] BERG this week Wednesday 20th November 3A94 at 5:30pm

Jade Hooper jade.hooper at stir.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 19:31:26 GMT 2019

Dear BERGers,

This week at BERG we have Kirsten Blakey sharing with us her knowledge on "Development of strategic social information seeking in children" (abstract below). Come along to find out more!

The meeting will be held on Wednesday 20th November in the Psychology department common room (3A94) at 5:30pm with drinks and nibbles provided.

The most up to date schedule is available on Box for details of talks and for information on dates where BERG is not running (here: https://stir.box.com/s/skboejxqbtg8b52aiadnzi07tv0nrsog).

Best wishes,

Jade

Development of strategic social information seeking in children

Selective social learning allows human adults to filter out less useful aspects of available information, enabling them to actively seek and effectively use that which is most relevant. Human adults may therefore demonstrate key differences in the way that they attend to and use social information compared to children and non-humans. However, the majority of developmental social learning paradigms examine children's responses to information specifically provided for use in a particular task, but do not address children's ability to seek out the information for themselves. I will discuss a recent study that aimed to address this gap in our understanding regarding age-related changes in children's ability to seek out as well as use appropriate social information.

Jade Hooper |  Research Assistant and PhD Candidate -  Faculty of Social Science   |  3T37,  RG Bomont Building,  University of Stirling,  Stirling,  FK9 4LA |  E-mail: jade.hooper at stir.ac.uk<mailto:jade.hooper at stir.ac.uk>  |  Web:http://www.stir.ac.uk/social-science/

Reports and summaries for the Permanently Progressing? Building secure futures for children in Scotland study including an information sheet for children are available here<https://www.stir.ac.uk/about/faculties/social-sciences/our-research/research-areas/centre-for-child-wellbeing-and-protection/research/permanently-progressing/>