[BERG] BERG Christmas party 12 December, and date for diary - 16 January 2019

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 13:02:09 GMT 2018

Dear all

There is a slight change to the BERG schedule, that our wonderful organiser Gemma will inform us all about soon, but I just wanted to let you know that BERG's Christmas party will be on Wednesday 12th December in the usual BERG slot at 5.30pm in the common room. We shall ask that everybody brings a little something to the party to share - nibbles, a bottle, or home baking if inclined.

We are entering party season! Each of the research groups has also been asked to suggest a party game for the Psychology Christmas party on 19th December. BERG must also have a good representation there! So on 12th December we may try out the form of any games  (please let me know if you have any great suggestions that would work well with lots of people). This is not to give BERG a competitive advantage by cheating, but to ensure the organisational processes are smooth!

Finally, I am delighted to say that Deborah Bruce (deborah.bruce at stir.ac.uk<mailto:deborah.bruce at stir.ac.uk>) has agreed to organise us all next semester so please put Wednesdays at 5.30pm in your diaries, and start thinking about offering a presentation.

Seminars will commence on 16th January with an external speaker, Dr Ally Palmer, from the University of Oxford, talking about ethics of orang-utan rehabilitation and reintroduction. Prior to her talk we shall have a discussion about "voluntary participation of animals in research", and will be meeting around 4pm. If you are interested in joining us, please let me know. Ally is doing this work as a postdoctoral researcher working with Dr Beth Greenhough and Dr Reuben Message on the Species and Spaces project at the School of Geography and Environment, Oxford. Ally is studying those animals used in research in Places Other than Licensed Establishments (POLES). This work considers how transposing animal research to POLES - such as farms, fisheries, conservation sites, zoos, and veterinary clinics - poses new questions and challenges for human-animal relationships.

Best, Hannah

Hannah M. Buchanan-Smith
Professor, Behaviour and Evolution Research Group (BERG)

Room 3A79, Cottrell
Psychology, Faculty of Natural Sciences
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA