[BERG] This week's BERG: Prof Hannah Buchanan-Smith discusses primate welfare

Paxton Culpepper p.d.culpepper at stir.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 15:38:15 GMT 2018

Dear BERGers,

This Wednesday (Jan 24th) we have Prof Hannah Buchanan-Smith giving a talk entitled: Welfare of Primates: Why Should we Care?

She gave this presentation at the prestigious PSGB 50th anniversary meeting in London back in November 2017 - it will to be very interesting and informative.

Abstract:

Welfare of Primates: Why Should we Care?

We are primatologists, and as such we are all ambassadors for these animals. Through our own research, action, and interactions we can influence the welfare of primates, directly and indirectly, and both positively and negatively. The 3Rs (Replacement, Reduction and Refinement - the basic principles underpinning humane science) are generally considered with invasive research but they apply beyond the laboratory. In this presentation, I shall describe how primatologists from a range of backgrounds have informed welfare-related legislation and practice. For example, findings from cognitive research on primates has positively impacted on legislation (e.g. great apes are no longer used in invasive research - with few exceptions globally); understanding natural adaptations from field research has informed how we treat primates, their enclosure design and husbandry. Studying primate welfare is also of interest in its own right. There is a range of exciting new technologies and methodologies to explore affective states, the links between welfare and biological markers, and how these are connected over the lifespan.

We look forward to seeing you there at 5:30pm sharp!

Best,
Paxton

Paxton Culpepper, BSc, MSc
PhD Candidate | Psychology

Department of Psychology
Behaviour and Evolution Research Group
Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Stirling, UK
Office: 3B134 Cottrell Building
Phone: +44 (0) 1786 466852
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 467641
Email: p.d.culpepper at stir.ac.uk<mailto:p.d.culpepper at stir.ac.uk>