[BERG] FW: Monday seminar - Public attitudes and involvement, conservation conflicts, and science-policy interfaces

Hannah Buchanan-Smith h.m.buchanan-smith at stir.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:37:49 GMT 2015

This looks like an interesting seminar.....

The seminar on Monday (23rd Feb) will be by Juliette Young (CEH, Edinburgh)..... 12 noon in A6 (Cottrell building). Juliette has been leading on some really interesting interdisciplinary work and has on-going collaborations with folk in BES.

Title: Public attitudes and involvement, conservation conflicts, and science-policy interfaces

Summary: This presentation will provide a whistle-stop tour of some of the interdisciplinary research we carry out at CEH Edinburgh.  Topics covered will include: assessing public understanding of biodiversity and its management in Scotland; exploring stakeholder involvement in Natura 2000; managing, mapping and resolving conservation conflicts; developing effective science-policy interfaces, including an update on the IPBES.

Bio: I have been working at CEH since 2002. Although I started my career as a zoologist, I have since become a mix of natural and social scientist, having done a PhD in social sciences. Most of my work now focusses on the political dimension of biodiversity conservation, with a focus on protected areas, science-policy-society dialogue and conflicts.