[Scottish-perception-group] Invitation to Edinburgh MusIC talk-- Petri Toiviainen, Tue 06 Feb, 1715, Student Common Rm, Alison House, School of Music

p.f.Keene p.f.keene at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 12:06:28 GMT 2007

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for Cross Postings

This is an invitation from the University of Edinburgh MusIC group to
please join us for a talk by Professor Petri Toiviainen from The
University of Jyväskylä.

Petri Toiviainen: "Measuring, Modelling, and Visualizing the Dynamics
of Tonality"

Tuesday 6 February 2007 at 1715, Student Common Room, Alison House,
School of Music

Abstract
Perception of music is an active dynamic process: while music unfolds
in time, we constantly form expectations about its possible
continuations. These expectations operate on several levels of music,
such as melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, and tonal. The fulfilment or
violation of these expectations gives rise to patterns of tension and
relaxation, which, it has been suggested, is one source of emotions
evoked by music. Therefore, understanding dynamical aspects of music
perception is crucial for obtaining a more comprehensive picture of the
musical mind. The dynamics of music perception can be studied with
various methods, including listening experiments and computational
modelling.

Music in many styles is organized around one or more stable reference
tones. In Western music, this phenomenon is referred to as tonality. As
music unfolds in time, the tonality percept often changes. For
instance, the clarity of tonality can change over time. Furthermore,
the particular piece of music may contain modulations from one key to
another. These changes in perceived tonality may be important in the
creation of expectancies, tension, and emotions.

I will discuss methods for measuring the dynamics of music perception,
in particular the perception of tonality, by means of listening
experiments. Furthermore, I will talk about approaches to simulate this
process with models of pitch perception, short-term memory, and the
self-organizing map (SOM). The SOM allows for dynamic visualization of
perceived tonal context, making it possible to examine the clarity and
locus of tonality at any given point of time. Finally, I will discuss
computational methods for the analysis of tonal structure of musical
works.

This is the first talk of the semester so we hope you can come.  It
should be quite enjoyable, with plenty of opportunity for questions and
lively discussion afterwards.

Please feel free to forward this invitation as appropriate.

http://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/MusIC/SeminarSeries

If you have any questions, please mail Paul Keene
p.f.keene at sms.ed.ac.uk or David Murray-Rust D.S.Murray-Rust at sms.ed.ac.uk

Map of Central Area
http://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/central-area/

Location of Alison House
http://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/central-area/alison-house/?sort=name&order=asc

Travelling to Edinburgh
http://www.ed.ac.uk/maps/travel/

To subscribe to the mailing list, see below...