[Phd-behsci] Hidden curriculum: Recommended reading source

Till Stowasser till.stowasser at stir.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 14:23:45 GMT 2024

Hi folks,

Yesterday, I filled in Hector about our plan to use some of the PhD lab sessions for a semi-structured dialogue between supervisors and PhD students about 'hidden curriculum items’, such as career tracks, career steps, what’s important and what not, REF/TEF, wellbeing (imposter syndrome, dealing with rejection) etc.

He likes the idea a lot and made the following book suggestion:

Marc Bellemare (2022) Doing Economics: What You Should Have Learned in Grad School ― But Didn’t (paperback costs £19.44 on Amazon)

This looks like exactly the type of resource that could fill in some of the gaps we identified yesterday. I ordered my copy already.

@Simon: Do you know of a similar resource that’s less Econ-specific and that would be more appropriate for Johanne?

Best,
Till