[Media-watch] Response to Norman Solomon

David Cromwell ddc at soc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 14:18:35 GMT 2005

Reponse to Normon Solomon's ZNet piece today at:
http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2005-01/12solomon.cfm

Dear Norman,

I am co-editor of a UK-based media watch website,
Media Lens. We've been documenting the omissions
and distortions of the British media for around
four years, with particular attention devoted to
the 'liberal' media, including the BBC, Channel 4
News, the Independent (and its Sunday sister),
the Guardian and the Observer.

I read your ZNet piece today with interest but
also with some surprise. It may well be your
impression that "journalists [in the UK] are far
more willing than their U.S. counterparts to
repeatedly take on powerful interests". But where
is the evidence that UK-based journalists
"repeatedly take on powerful interests" at all?
Quoting just one Independent commentator (Matthew
Norman, usually seen fronting a facile media
diary with plenty of tittle-tattle and little
substance) hardly justifies your thesis. Norman
writes self-servingly: "the only effective
barrier between a roguish, ruthless British
government and the creation of a country in which
very few of us would care to live." This is
largely a convenient fiction. The truth is that
Matthew Norman, the Independent and the liberal
media act as benign figleaves for state-corporate
power, not as mythical watchdogs of democracy.
Media Lens put it this way in one media alert
titled 'Conspiracy-Free Conformity' (26 July,
2002):

In an ostensibly democratic society, a propaganda
system must incorporate occasional instances of
dissent. Like vaccines, these small doses of
truth inoculate the public against awareness of
the rigid limits of media freedom. The honest
dissident pieces which occasionally surface in
the mainstream are quite as important to the
successful functioning of the propaganda system
as the vast mass of power-friendly journalism.
Dissidents (a tiny number of them) also have
their place in the pyramid - the end result,
however, is an overall performance that tends to
mould public opinion to support the goals of
state-corporate power.

You claim of the Independent and the Guardian
that: "Tough questions get pursued at length and
in depth. News coverage is often factually
devastating. And commentaries don't mince words."
In fact, we believe - based on hundreds of case
studies archived in our media alerts at
www.medialens.org - that the following quote - by
you - is an apt summary of the UK media, as well
as your own: "scattered islands of
independent-minded reporting are lost in oceans
of the stenographic reliance on official
sources". (Solomon, Target Iraq: What The News
Media Didn't Tell You, Context Books, 2003, p.26)

Are you aware that the Observer, which you list
approvingly, actually explicitly supported the
invasion of Iraq? As for the Guardian, a Media
Lens article last month highlighted in the paper
- probably for the first time - its own grievous
omissions and distortions, particularly on Iraq
(David Edwards and David Cromwell, 'Balance in
the service of falsehood,' The Guardian, December
15, 2004;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1373913,00.html)

As for the Independent, to quote from one of our
media alerts, dated 15 August 2003, focussing on
the paper's poor performance:

"The role of the liberal press’ is to impose a
power-friendly view of the world on [Alex]
Carey's "better educated people" in a way that
convinces them that real debate has taken place,
when often it has not. A good example of this
propaganda role was provided recently in the
title of an Independent editorial, which read:
"The Americans are trying to build a prosperous,
democratic Iraq, but they cannot do it on their
own." (Leader, the Independent, August 9, 2003)

This is one of the country's two leading liberal
papers [the other being the Guardian] making the
quite astonishing claim that the United States is
genuinely trying to create democracy in Iraq. In
other words we are to believe that the US will
have spent an estimated $58 billion for the nine
months from January through September (with some
estimates projecting final invasion/occupation
costs of $600 billion), with the loss of 258 US
dead so far, to create conditions in which the
Iraqi people would be free to reject all further
US political, economic or military involvement in
the country. That, after all, is what democracy
must be able to mean.

A more fantastic view of great power politics can
hardly be imagined. The Independent, in fact, is
stating as bald fact a purity of US motivation
that is without precedent in all history and
represents a level of generosity, altruism and
self-sacrifice that is almost beyond belief. We
can only conclude that George W. Bush, Donald
Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Perle et al are
in fact bodhisattvas bent on achieving the
welfare of the world regardless of the costs to
themselves or their country.

There are countless other examples of
power-friendly editorials and news reporting in
the Independent, including conforming to the
standard ideology that this month's elections in
Iraq are free and democratic (Fisk's reports
being a valiant exception).

Right through the buildup to the invasion of Iraq
and beyond, Media Lens documented and challenged
the paper's editors on its systematic failures to
report the truth of who was responsible for the
death of a million Iraqis under sanctions; that
Iraq had been 90-95% disarmed (authoritative
critical commentators such as Scott Ritter were
routinely ignored or marginalised); that Iraq had
been devastated and was not a threat; that WMD
was +not+, in any case, the issue; that US
geostrategic plans for the region and the globe
(openly announced by US planners, as Noam Chomsky
has noted repeatedly, particularly in 'Hegemony
or Survival') was and is the issue; and on and
on. The paper's overall performance, with the
occasional questioning piece of reporting that
"gestured cryptically in the direction of the
truth" (to quote David Edwards, my co-editor)
ensured that the permissible limits of debate
never went far enough to trouble the newspaper's
owners, advertisers, trusted news sources or
likely generators of flak.

In February 2001, I sent a particularly ludicrous
piece of reporting on Iraq in the Independent to
Noam. This was his reply:

"It's worth remembering that no matter how much
they try, they [Independent staff] are part of
the British educated elite, that is, ideological
fanatics who have long ago lost the capacity to
think on any issue of human significance, and
entirely in the grip of the state religion. They
can concede errors or failures, but anything more
is, literally, inconceivable."
(Email to David Cromwell, 24 February 2001)

With certain exceptions - notably Robert Fisk
(for whom Noam has expressed admiration), this is
an accurate observation of that paper and its
editors and senior correspondents.

Mainstream US reporting might well be almost
uniformly regimented, monolithic and subservient
to power. But the UK media - with very similar
institutional and other constraints - is little
different.

I hope you don't mind the robust manner in which
I've challenged your - admittedly brief -
analysis of the UK media. I would be glad to hear
your response to the points above. I'd also
encourage you strongly to sign up for our free
media alerts (about once a week) at
www.medialens.org and to question your own view
of the Independent, the Guardian and the British
liberal media.

Thank you for a stimulating ZNet commentary.

best wishes,
David Cromwell
co-editor
Media Lens