[Media-watch] FW: on behalf of Head of Blue Peter

David Miller davidmiller at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 19 17:28:18 GMT 2005

!
----------
From: "Georgina Anderson" <Georgina.Anderson at bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:22:22 -0000
To: <davidmiller at strath.ac.uk>
Subject: on behalf of Head of Blue Peter

Dear Mr Miller

We are very sorry you felt offended by the red hand symbol we chose to
illustrate a Best of British livery for the Blue Peter paint a plane
competition.

We can assure you that the symbol was used in good faith and it certainly
wasn¹t our intention to be provocative or promote sectarianism. The reason
we chose to use it was because it is the official symbol of the province of
Ulster. Of Ulster's 9 counties, 3 are located in Eire and 6 in Northern
Ireland and we were advised that both communities are equally attached to
the Red Hand as representative of their province.

Blue Peter never seeks to offend its audience. We take all complaints
seriously and after we received yours we did some detailed investigation
into it, the result of which is that we realise that the context in which we
were referring to the Red Hand (a throwaway example used in a design
competition) was inappropriate and mistaken. We'd like to apologise for any
upset or concern we have caused.

Yours  sincerely ,

Anne Gilchrist
HEAD OF BLUE PETER