[Media-watch] Iraqi journalists reportedly take bribes - International Journalists Network - 14/01/2005

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 21:34:45 GMT 2005

http://www.ijnet.org/FE_Article/newsarticle.asp?UILang=1&CId=271467&CIdLang=1

Iraqi journalists reportedly take bribes
Jan 14, 2005

Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's political party handed cash to
journalists in an effort to ensure coverage of its campaign in the upcoming
elections, news reports say.

Allawi's party officials gave cash in envelopes after a press conference in
Baghdad on January 10, the Financial Times reported on its Web site, FT.com.
Each envelope had a $100 bill in it, and mostly went to Arab TV reporters.

Various news reports said that some journalists refused to take the "gift,"
but others accepted it. The money was roughly equal to half a month's salary
for an average Iraqi reporter.

quoted Allawi's spokeman, Tahir Al-Naqib, saying "It was a mistake, it was
done by one person acting as an individual." At the same time, Allawi's
coalition campaign manager Adnan Al-Janabi told the BBC, "We have no excuse
in your culture, but I'm from a tribal background and in ours it is just
hospitality."

Al-Janabi also added: "If we wanted to bribe the press, we would have to pay
a lot more."

Some Iraqi journalists told the Guardian that other political parties were
paying reporters for attending similar events, and they admitted taking the
money.

According to the Financial Times, one reporter joked that it was like the
era of Saddam Hussein, who was known to give money to favored journalists.
But the incident raises serious questions about journalism ethics, or the
lack thereof, in the post-Saddam era. It is also unlikely to help the
credibility of Iraqi news media.

FT.com: http://news.ft.com/cms/s/da6ad5c6-6376-11d9-bec2-00000e2511c8.html.

The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,5102132-103550,00.html.

BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4168925.stm.