[Media-watch] Occupation Is Hell (PBS gets slamed for 'liberal' bias) and other articles from GlobalEcho

Antony Wright antony_wright at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 19:36:39 GMT 2005

*www.globalecho.org is an open publishing platform that invites YOU to
post non-mainstream political and social news, opinion, and comment on
local and global issues.*

*Occupation Is Hell* by: Alexander Zaitchik
The producers at PBS' The News Hour with Jim Lehrer must have been
feeling lazy. Had they done their homework before inviting Christian
Parenti on their show last March, they would have known his comments
would draw fire from the usual quarters. As the 35-year-old
academic-turned-journalist had been explaining with some force in his
dispatches for the Nation, reconstruction in Iraq was simply not
happening, and the occupation was rapidly losing whatever legitimacy it
had left among the Iraqi people.
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2932/

*US Ignored Warning on Iraqi Oil Smuggling* by: Claudio Gatti
A joint investigation by the Financial Times and Il Sole 24 Ore, the
Italian business daily, shows that the single largest and boldest
smuggling operation in the oil-for-food programme was conducted with the
knowledge of the US government.
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2938/

*Ending the US War in Iraq: How to Bring the Troops Home and
Internationalize the Peace* by: Phyllis Bennis and Erik Leaver
"There is an old military doctrine called the First Rule of Holes: If
you find yourself stuck in one, stop digging." - the late Rear Admiral
Eugene Carroll, US Navy (Ret.)
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2934/

*Hundreds of UN troops invade Cité Soleil with police, round up hundreds
of Haitians* by: Haiti Information Project
Rounding up residents and kicking down doors, heavily armed troops of
the UN and the Police Nationale de Haiti (PNH) invaded several
neighborhoods of Cité Soleil Saturday, one day after an alleged attack
on the headquarters of the mission of the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul.
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2933///

*Let's Not Pretend We Didn't Know* by: Dr. Teresa Whitehurst
The only thing worse than seeing endless news stories about the torture
of "detainees" at U.S. prison camps like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay
is seeing the word "shocking" in relation to something that we all, in
our heart of hearts, knew was happening from the start.
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2931/

*Growing anxiety in US ruling circles over Iraq debacle* by: Patrick Martin
New York Times calls for postponing January 30 election
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2930/

*FISK: 'They put a hood on me, tied my hands and took me to Camp
Fallujah'* by: Robert Fisk
The General was a slim 58-year-old, his hair black, big hands, a suit
that hung uneasily upon him, a bespoke tailor's work that could never
equal his pea-green uniform with swords on the epaulettes.
/http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=2929/