[Media-watch] The 'tsunami' victims that we don't count - The Boston Globe - 7/1/2005

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 11 15:21:03 GMT 2005

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/01/07/the_tsunami_victims_that_we_dont_count?pg=full

 The 'tsunami' victims that we don't count
By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  January 7, 2005

SECRETARY of State Colin Powell tours tsunami-stricken Banda Aceh and says,
"I cannot begin to imagine the horror that went through the families and all
of the people who heard this noise coming and then had their lives snuffed
out by this wave."

Richard Lugar, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, issued a
resolution that said: "The tsunami disaster constitutes a humanitarian
tragedy of incredible proportions. . . . My heart goes out to the victims of
this tragedy."

Last and hardly least, President Bush said: "The devastation in the region
defies comprehension. . . . Our flags will fly at half-staff to honor the
victims of this disaster. We mourn especially the tens of thousands of
children who are lost. We think of the tens of thousands more who will grow
up without their parents or their brothers or their sisters. We hold in our
prayers all the people whose fate is still unknown."

In the abstract, the outpouring was appropriate. In context, the sympathy
was a stench unto itself. Tens of thousands of people die by an act of
nature and we say we cannot imagine the horror. We say it defies
comprehension. We call it a catastrophe.

In Iraq we kill off thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of innocent
civilians with our own hands, and we reject any attempt to comprehend what
we have done. Countless Iraqi civilians are homeless. We call it liberation.

Bush quoted all the numbers for the tsunami in speeches this week: 150,000
lives lost, including 90,000 in Indonesia; perhaps 5 million homeless;
millions vulnerable to disease. That stands in hypocritical contrast to the
refusal to count the Iraqi civilians killed in his invasion over false
claims of weapons of mass destruction and the crime-ridden chaos of an
occupation that did not plan on an "insurgency."

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and former Iraqi commander Tommy Franks
both said, "We don't do body counts." Then, right in our faces, Powell said
civilian casualty figures were "relatively low." Central Command spokesman
Pete Mitchell hailed the invasion for its "unbelievably low amount of
collateral damage and needless civilian death." Paul Bremer, Bush's former
civilian reconstruction envoy, said, "We have freed people with one of the
great military battles of all time, in a period of three weeks, with almost
no collateral damage, very few civilian deaths, and they are now free."

The White House left the counting to journalists, doctors, think tanks, and
human rights groups. The numbers range from conservative guesses of 3,200 in
the first few weeks of the war and occupation estimates ranging from 15,000
to 100,000. No matter if the number was 3,200 or 32,000, this atrocity of
silence makes the torture in Abu Ghraib pale in comparison.

No flags have been flown at half-staff for Iraqi civilians. There have been
no moments of silence in Congress. There have been no speeches by Bush
mourning "the tens of thousands of children who are lost." Americans have
not been asked to think of the "tens of thousands more who will grow up
without their parents or their brothers or their sisters."

In a nation that supposedly reelected Bush on "moral values," there have
been no prayers from the White House for "all the people whose fate is still
unknown" in Iraq. This was a bipartisan hypocrisy. Even Nancy Pelosi, the
House Democratic leader, fell into the trap of favoritism, fueling the
appearance that this war was a religious crusade.

At the beginning of the war she said, "We pray for the swift and successful
disarmament of Iraq with the least possible loss of life among our forces
and the civilians of Iraq." But then she closed her message with: "May God
bless our courageous forces and their brave families. May God bless the
president of the United States. And may God bless America."

Not once did Pelosi or any American politician say in the last two years,
"God bless Iraqi civilians" or any variant. Only one time has Bush uttered
"God bless the people of Iraq," and that was in announcing Saddam Hussein's
capture. Not once has he asked God's blessing for the courageous civilians
and the families of Iraq who had no choice but to brave our bombs.

Let us do what we can for the victims of the tsunami. But no matter how much
we weep for them, no matter what donations we spare, the offerings will not
spare us from history's judgment, if not God's. Lugar said his heart goes
out to the victims of the tsunami. No hearts have gone out to Iraqi
civilians in this heartless coverup.

Powell said of the tsunami, "The power of the wave to destroy bridges, to
destroy factories, to destroy homes, to destroy crops, to destroy everything
in its path is amazing." He said, "I have never seen anything like it in my
experience."

Yes, he has. It was in Iraq. The tsunami was us.

Derrick Z. Jackson's e-mail address is jackson at globe.com.