[Media-watch] FW: sectarianism on BBC childrens television

David Miller davidmiller at strath.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 23:25:27 GMT 2005

Feel free to add you complaints
----------
From: Emma Miller <emma_miller at talk21.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:55:54 +0000 (GMT)
To: bluepeter at bbc.co.uk
Subject: sectarianism on BBC childrens television

I am writing to complain about your programme today,
specifically about a provocative presentation by your
new presenter Zoe.   During her discussion of the
competition to design a Boeing aircraft she presented
her own design suggestion, which she explained was
inspired by her origins in Ulster.  She then
proceeded, to my amazement, to show her design
consisting of three red hands, which she explained
represented the red hand of Ulster.

The red hand of Ulster is, as you must be aware a
potent sectarian symbol, associated as it is with
loyalist paramilitaries.  The Red Hand Defenders, for
example, are associated with sectarian murders in the
North of Ireland.  In a public statement two years
ago, Amnesty International repeatedly cited this
organisation for sectarian killings.  Amnesty further
stated: "Amnesty International was also concerned that
earlier this week, the Red Hand Defenders issued
threats against teachers and other staff at Catholic
schools and against Catholic postal workers in north
Belfast as "legitimate targets".

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGEUR450012002?open&of=ENG-370

As an icon, the red hand is banned in some schools in
Scotland, where it is rightly viewed as deliberately
provocative.

Your presenter Zoe, who grew up in Belfast, cannot be
ignorant of this information.  I must also question
your editorial staff who must have made a decision to
broadcast this material.   I am deeply concerned about
the intention behind this presentation.   Could you
please explain.

Emma Miller