[Media-watch] Electronic Iraq News

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 23:29:28 GMT 2005

Iraq Diaries
PEOPLE IN EXILE
Sheila Provencher, Electronic Iraq (2 January 2005)

"Open the door! Open the door!" The soldier's face was
only about a foot away. "Give me the camera," he demanded.
"Now!" My colleague Tom had been on our apartment rooftop
moments before. He saw about 10 young soldiers playing
with neighborhood kids. The soldiers swung the children
into the air, earning giggles and shrieks of delight. Tom
snapped a picture. "I wanted a photo so I could prove that
soldiers do something more than just shoot people," he
later explained.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1765.shtml

Iraq Diaries
VIOLENCE AS A CURE FOR FALLUJAH?
Cliff Kindy, Electronic Iraq (31 December 2004)

On November 4, the U.S. Military bombed Fallujah as a
prelude to an assault on the city of 300,000. More than
seven weeks have passed since the first bombing runs. U.S.
troops outnumbered the estimated insurgents three fold and
had support from Iraqi forces. The U.S. held superiority
in firepower and controlled the skies. Yet, the battle for
Fallujah continues now with more bombing runs, house
raids, and arrests across the city.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1764.shtml

News & Analysis
THOUSANDS OF FALLUJAH RESIDENTS RETURN TO DEVASTATION
Report, IRIN (28 December 2004)

"Fallujah is nothing but destruction and empty areas. It's
a new desert inside Iraq. Those who have returned to their
homes in the past few days lack the minimum conditions -
the city is uninhabitable," said Fadhel Kubaissy, a
resident who returned home but left again with his family
after finding his house in ruins.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1763.shtml

Iraq Diaries
LIVING IN GARBAGE
Dahr Jamail, Electronic Iraq (27 December 2004)

The dump is a dusty wasteland. Heaps of Baghdad's rotting
wastes are strewn about several square miles of the
battered capital city. Engaged in their futile battle to
remove the endless amounts of garbage from streets, blue
garbage trucks rumble through the stinky dump, adding
their loads of filth. 32 year-old Hattim lives in this
wasteland with his family.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1762.shtml

Iraq Diaries
HOW CAN I DO THIS?
Doug Pritchard, Electronic Iraq (25 December 2004)

In his study, he showed us his machine gun and the
ski-mask he wears when he sometimes joins the three armed
men guarding the church. "This is an abnormal situation.
You in disguise. A priest with a gun. How can I do this?"

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1761.shtml

The following information is a reminder of your current mailing
list subscription:

To find out about other EI/eIraq lists available, see:
http://electronicintifada.net/cgi-bin/kebab/mail.cgi

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

MECCS/EI Project
1507 E. 53rd Street, #500
Chicago, IL 60615, USA
http://electronicIraq.net