[Media-watch] Electronic Iraq Update

David J McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 11:13:48 GMT 2005

UPDATE FROM
ELECTRONIC IRAQ

http://electronicIraq.net

Full coverage and indexing of all election articles at:
http://electroniciraq.net/news/1808.shtml

News & Analysis
SPECIAL FLASHPOINTS EDITION ON THE ELECTION IN IRAQ
Report, Flashpoints (31 January 2005)

In a special Flashpoints edition on the election in Iraq
Dennis Bernstein, Robert Knight, and Nora Barrows Friedman
brings live reports from unembedded special corespondant
Dahr Jamail, and Robert Fisk of The Independent.

Listen to the reports at:
http://electronicIraq.net/news/1850.shtml

News & Analysis
CONFUSION SURROUNDS IRAQ POLL TURNOUT
Report, Aljazeera (31 January 2005)

Confusion surrounds turnout statistics in Iraq's election,
with the country's election commission backtracking on a
statement that 72% had voted and top politicians insisting
the turnout was high. The commission said its initial
tally had been little more than a guess based on local
estimates. "Turnout figures recently announced represent
the enormous and understandable enthusiasm felt in the
field on this historic day," a commission statement said.
"However, these figures are only very rough, word-of-mouth
estimates gathered informally from the field. It will take
some time for the Independent Electoral Commission of Iraq
to release accurate figures on turnout."

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1849.shtml

News & Analysis
SOME JUST VOTED FOR FOOD
Dahr Jamail, Inter Press Service (31 January 2005)

BAGHDAD, Jan 31 (IPS) - Voting in Baghdad was linked with
receipt of food rations, several voters said after the
Sunday poll. Many Iraqis said Monday that their names were
marked on a list provided by the government agency that
provides monthly food rations before they were allowed to
vote. "I went to the voting centre and gave my name and
district where I lived to a man," said Wassif Hamsa, a
32-year-old journalist who lives in the predominantly Shia
area Janila in Baghdad. "This man then sent me to the
person who distributed my monthly food ration."

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1846.shtml

The Media
DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ
Omar Iskandar Khan, Electronic Iraq (31 January 2005)

Here we undertake only to examine the terms of this
liberation in the language supplied by our president and
our media.  "An Indelible Moment," is one among several
hundred articles that have littered our collective
imagination during the past weeks. Printed yesterday as
expatriate ballots were cast, it is the Washington Post's
attempt to consummate the marriage of Iraqi-democracy.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1848.shtml

News & Analysis
FOCUS ON ELECTIONS
Report, IRIN (31 January 2005)

Sunday, 30 January, 2005, will go down in history as the
day many Iraqi voters showed their determination to go to
the polls in the face of threats and intimidation from
insurgents bent on making the first free election in 50
years fail. An estimated 8 million people turned out
across the country amid tight security.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1845.shtml

Iraq Diaries
CPT IRAQ RELEASE: ELECTION PRELUDE
Cliff Kindy, Electronic Iraq (31 January 2005)

The director of the Iraq Electoral Commission asked
Christian Peacemaker Teams to be official international
election observers. CPT chose not to play that role
because of concerns about the inordinate U.S. influence on
this Iraqi election. The Muslim Scholars' Board (MSB) has
asked people to boycott the election and asked for a
two-month delay because there are so many Sunni areas
where the execution of the election will face serious
problems. The general secretary of MSB (an organization of
Sunni and Shi'a religious leaders) told CPT, "This
election provides justification for the continuing U.S.
occupation. It will allow the U.S. to override the UN
Security Council resolution that the U.S should leave Iraq
this year."

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1847.shtml

News & Analysis
IRAQI ELECTIONS: IN THE MAINSTREAM PRESS
Report, Electronic Iraq (30 January 2005)

'Millions of Iraqis defied a surge of bombings and suicide
attacks yesterday to go to the polls in greater than
expected numbers for the first democratic elections for 50
years. The electoral commission's provisional estimate of
turnout was 57%. Despite an extraordinary security
crackdown in which all cars were banned from the streets
and most roads were blocked by soldiers and coils of razor
wire, more than 40 Iraqis were killed in attacks.'

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1844.shtml

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/