[Media-watch] Blair gives qualified Iraq apology to woo party - ABS CBS News - 28/09/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 17:25:42 BST 2004

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?section=WORLD&oid=60557

Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:46 PM

Blair gives qualified Iraq apology to woo party

BRIGHTON, England - Tony Blair offered his Labour party on Tuesday a partial apology for waging war in Iraq -- a desperate attempt to pull supporters back behind him ahead of an election next year.

But as two more British soldiers died in Iraq and a hostage remained under threat of death, his hopes of drawing a line under two years that has wrecked his public trust ratings are far from secure.

"The evidence about Saddam having actual biological and chemical weapons ... has turned out to be wrong," Blair said, his nearest yet to a mea culpa.

"The problem is, I can apologize for the information that turned out to be wrong but I can't, sincerely at least, apologize for removing Saddam," he said. "The world is a better place with Saddam in prison not in power."

Blair's speech was interrupted twice by protesters, one yelling that the premier "had blood on his hands," others opposing a planned ban on fox-hunting.

They were ruthlessly bundled out of the hall.

Iraq hurdle

For most of his speech, Blair focused on domestic issues which he hopes will define his campaign to win a third term at a general election expected in May.

But aides said he knew that would not resonate, with party or the wider public, if he did not tackle Iraq head-on.

Blair made the case for war on the assertion that Saddam had banned weapons ready to use. The fact none has been found more than a year after major military action finished has soured British public opinion.

"Whatever disagreements we have had, we should unite in our determination to stand by the Iraqi people until the job is done," he said, adding that foreign affairs and domestic prosperity were indivisible.

"If I don't care and act on this terrorist threat, then the day will come when all our good work on the issues that decide people's lives will be undone because the stability on which our economy ... depends, will vanish."

Blair also mentioned British engineer Kenneth Bigley, who was abducted by Al Qaeda-linked militants 12 days ago, and the two soldiers killed in Basra on Tuesday.

"I want to express our condolences to the latest British casualties in Iraq," he said, "and I want to, on behalf of all of us, express our support and solidarity with Ken Bigley and all the Bigley family."

Bigley's brother has accused Blair of not doing enough to appeal for his release.

Outside, some 8,000 marchers staged a noisy protest on the seafront of this southern coastal resort against the government's attempt to ban the ancient pursuit of fox hunting.

Many of them walked with hounds by their side and carried placards reading "Fight prejudice. Fight the ban."

Witnesses said some demonstrators dumped the carcasses of two calves and a horse near the conference center as part of their protest. Two men were arrested.

The meat of his speech heralded domestic policy plans -- Blair stressed the election could only be won with a radical agenda, not solely by resting on past achievements.

He also offered an olive branch to finance minister Gordon Brown, whose supporters believe should have had Blair's job by now.

Referring to incessant talk of a feud between the two, Blair said Brown was "a personal friend for 20 years and the best Chancellor this country has ever had."