[Media-watch] New Pilger Book

Tony Sutton tonysutton at newsdesign.net
Wed Sep 22 00:15:23 BST 2004

COLDTYPE OCTOBER ISSUE

Download and read our latest e-BOOK

YEAR ZERO

An 80-page excerpt from John Pilger¹s new book
TELL ME NO LIES: Investigative Journalism And Its Triumphs

Top British reporter John Pilger has collected a series of the best pieces
of investigative journalism from around the world in the past 60 years in
his new 628-page book, TELL ME NO LIES. In our excerpt, we reproduce
Pilger¹s introduction and YEAR ZERO, his remarkable expose of the genocide
of Pol Pot¹s regime against the people of Cambodia and the complicity of the
British and US governments. Other contributors include Martha Gelhorn,
Seymour Hersh, Paul Foot, Greg Palast, Robert Fisk, Eric Schlosser and
Edward W. Said.

Download YEAR ZERO - free of charge - at http://www.coldype.net

--------------------

PLUS - Another intriguing 8-page essay from Joe Bageant

KARAOKE NIGHT IN BUSH'S AMERICA

''I know it makes me a dinosaur, but I still think there is much to be
learned in America¹s small neighborhood taverns. I call it my ³learning
through drinking² program. Here are some things I have learned at Burt¹s
Westside Tavern:
  1. Never shack up with a divorced woman who is two house payments behind
and swears you are the best sex she ever had
  2. Never eat cocktail weenies out of the urinal, no matter how big the bet
gets.
  Learning through drinking was never dull. But when karaoke came to
American bars it got even more entertaining, especially at Burt¹s where some
participants get gussied up for their three weekly minutes of stardom. One
of them is Dink, a stubble-faced 56-year-old guy presently dressed like
Waylon Jennings. However, Dink¹s undying claim to fame here in Winchester is
not his Waylon imitation, which sucks. . . ''

Download Karaoke Night in Bush's America at http://www.coldype.net

--------------------

PLUS  - Read the latest issue of

AFRICAWOMAN

Want to know what's really happening in Africa? AfricaWoman's team of
reporters in North, Central and Southern Africa bring the stories behind the
news, the hope and the anguish . . . In this 8-page tabloid issue, you can
read about:
  - The Runaway Queen's of Swaziland's King Mswati
  - The river god that has disenfranchised women voters in Ghana
  - The tough choices facing women in HIV/Aids-ravaged Zimbabwe: Condoms or
food?
  - How Zambian women are fighting HIV/Aids
  - Profile of Nigeria's Finance and Budget Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
  - And much, much more . . .

Download the latest issue of Africawoman at http://www.coldype.net

Contact editor at coldtype.net if you'd like your nam removed from this list