[Media-watch] Jon Snow - "My editors tell me to tone it down" - Independent - 14/10/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 16:29:46 BST 2004

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=571914

'My editors tell me to tone it down...' but Snow still ploughs into
Campbell

By Katy Guest

  Fans of Jon Snow's famously iconoclastic style were not disappointed
by his festival appearance, in which he ridiculed George Bush,
castigated Alastair Campbell and came out in support of the former BBC
correspondent, Andrew Gilligan, over the "dodgy dossier" incident on
Radio 4. "The Gilligan thing - and again this is strictly between these
four walls," he said, leaning forward conspiratorially. "What exactly
did he get wrong?" There was applause. "The more we find out about it,"
he continued, "the more it seems we can now say with absolute
confidence that the dossier was sexed up, and it was sexed up by
Alastair Campbell. So sue me!"

Snow has landed himself in hot water recently with his e-mail
newsletter, which is known affectionately as "Snowmail" and has
developed a cult following. In these regular bulletins to subscribers,
the Channel 4 News anchor makes no secret of his feelings about
government decisions, leading one newspaper to contact Channel 4 bosses
to ask if he ought to be reined in. "My editors are a bit worried,
they'd like me to tone it down a bit," he told The Independent.
"Because I'm a news presenter I'm supposed to be 'neutral'. But I think
[outspokenness] is kind of the point, isn't it?" Even the concept of
neutrality came in for a bashing. "None of us is neutral," he told
interviewer, Pamela Armstrong. "You're a woman, I'm a man. You turn on
the radio in the morning and your perception will be different to mine.
We're not neutral. We need to understand where we're coming from, we
hacks, and be quite open about it.

"I don't say 'I cover elections so I'm not going to vote'. We have to
put a tick in a box; we're citizens first and hacks second."

His book, Shooting History - about his life as a foreign correspondent
- is a departure for Snow, who says that being an author offers very
different journalistic opportunities. "9/11 was what made me want to
write a book," he said. "Many of the more dispossessed parts of the
world weren't nearly so surprised by what happened [as Westerners
were].

"They thought it was something the West had coming to it. And isn't
that what we should be interested in investigating and finding out? How
those symptoms could have been felt?"

Snow was, by turns, serious and lighthearted, didactic and intimate - a
range illustrated by an exchange about Mikhail Gorbachev, the Cold War
and the "emasculated" United Nations. "Gorby was absolutely lovely," he
reminisced, fondly. "He's still lovely; I interviewed him again the
other day." Then, turning steely, he added: "And he thinks we threw it
away."

With his cuddly iconoclasm and warm intelligence, Jon Snow is in danger
of becoming a national treasure. It's a risk raised by stepping out
from behind the newscaster's desk. "Can I say thank you for the ties?"
asked a fan in the audience. "And the socks are a new joy." "Ah yes,"
replied Snow, solemnly. "That's what happens when they take the desk
away. You have to worry that the sock and ties are going to clash