[Media-watch] Anti-war protestors target the media - Norwich Evening News - 30/11/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 30 17:53:33 GMT 2004

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/News/story.asp?datetime=30+Nov+2004+12%3A29&tbrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=News&brand=ENOnline&itemid=NOED30+Nov+2004+12%3A38%3A16%3A767

 Anti-war protesters target the media

NAOMI CANTON

November 30, 2004 12:29

GREEN Party councillors and anti-war campaigners have staged a protest in
Norwich against the media coverage of the War on Iraq.

About 40 protesters made a procession around the city yesterday and handed
in statements to media offices, including the new Archant offices at the
Forum and Radio Norfolk.

They called for more accurate coverage of the recent attacks on Fallujah by
national and regional media.

The protest named "Media Blackout" was organised by the Norwich Stop the War
Coalition.

Peter Offord, of the Coalition, said: "Whilst British troops join the US-led
force in raiding Iraqi towns, the UK media has been more preoccupied with
foxhunting and with whether or not the England Cricket team are going to
make it to Zimbabwe.

"There have been many disturbing and reliable reports of various kinds of
war crimes in Fallujah. Little of this has appeared within mainstream
media."

Green Party councillor Rupert Read said: "I am pleased and proud to support
this march asking for fuller and fairer coverage by our media of a war which
every day needlessly brings the threat of a terrible revenge on the people
of Britain a little closer."

Green Party councillor Adrian Ramsay said: "It was a success in that we had
a warm reception from the people present."