[Media-watch] Documentary: About Baghdad

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 20:17:19 GMT 2004

Art, Music & Culture
DOCUMENTARY FILM REVIEW: 'ABOUT BAGHDAD' GIVES VOICE
TO IRAQIS NOT REPRESENTED IN THE NEWS MEDIA
Maureen Clare Murphy, Electronic Iraq (29 November 2004)

"We'll give [the Americans] a chance. If there's no
freedom ... they know that the Iraqi people are
revolutionary. We won't be silent if we are repressed,"
says an Iraqi man with a weathered face in the documentary
About Baghdad, shot in July 2003. But one wonders what he
would say today, after seeing the images that have come
out of Abu Ghraib and Falluja, and now that it is apparent
that the U.S. military has had no viable exit strategy.
About Baghdad captures through the many Iraqi voices in
the film the trauma of this most current war, on top of
the pain endured during twelve years of economic sanctions
and decades of war and oppression under the rule of Saddam
Hussein.

http://electronicIraq.net/news/1735.shtml