[Media-watch] Fw: Riddoch Programme

Yvonne & Ian Brotherhood brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 16:54:59 GMT 2004

MessageDear List-members,

Just received this.

Cheers,

Ian Brotherhood
----- Original Message -----
From: Philip Wells-GW
To: Yvonne & Ian Brotherhood
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: Riddoch Programme

Hello Mr Brotherhood,

Thanks for your reply. You are right, we are legally required to keep copies of all our programmes for 42 days after they have been broadcast. We also keep copies of the guest lists for the same length of time.

We can answer specific requests about individual programmes, and that information is available to anyone who asks. The material is for their own personal use. A transcription service does not exist, as a programme team I'm afraid its impractical to answer general queries about our coverage of an issue over such a long period of time. I can refer a request of this nature onwards if necessary.

However, I would utterly reject any suggestion that our coverage of the Iraq war has been biaised in favour of a small number of pro-war interviewees. I have had exactly the same complaints from people who support the war. We are interested in making programmes that hear from all points of view - not in pushing any political agenda.

We are highly aware of our responsibilities as programme makers to ensure that all points of view are represented. The Lesley Riddoch Programme is discussion based, it promotes debate and that needs differing opinions.
In reference to this tuesday's programme 3 of the 5 guests opposed the attack on Falluja (David Pratt Foreign Editor of the Sunday Herald)
Eric Herring (Senior Lecturer in Politics at Bristol University), and Omar Hassan (An Iraqi seeking asylum in the UK).  Eric Joyce MP was invited on the programme to represent the Government's viewpoint and as a former Soldier in the Black Watch. He could only be on the programme for half an hour, so we asked David Capitanchick from Aberdeen University to also be a guest on the programme. This allowed us so that we could still have a debate between differing points of view. At any point during the programme one pro war voice was opposed by three guests who opposed military action. This does not take into account the callers who -as you suggest- are generally anti-war.

Eric Joyce is one of our regular contributors. We are more frustrated than anyone that so few of his colleagues answer our repeated requests to appear on the programme to be questioned about Government policy. However, a quick look at our archives shows that Mr Joyce has been a guest on our programme 4 times in the last 10 months.

I don't believe that a presenter with Lesley Riddoch's experience and capability allows anyone the chance to use the programme as a platform for their views. Their assertions are challenged both by Lesley and by the listeners who call in.

Its arguable how many people in Scotland support the war in Iraq, but I don't believe it is such a small minority that their views should be completely unrepresented in an hour long programme.

If I can be of any help providing you with more information about specific programmes please let me know.

I hope you keep listening.
Yours Sincerely

PHIL WELLS
Editor, Lesley Riddoch Programme