[Media-watch] usual suspects

Yvonne & Ian Brotherhood brotherhoods at stevenston4.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 20:52:34 GMT 2004

Dear List-members,

I am appealing for help from any of you who may have received messages from me earlier this year regarding BBC Scotland's Lesley Riddoch programme.

Today, in the first hour of her programme, devoted to discussion of the Fallujah 'situation', Riddoch's main interviewees were David Capitanchik, David Pratt, Eric Joyce MP, and an ex-student of Capitanchik whose name I did not recognise ( perhaps Eric Herring or Heron ??)

Capitanchik and Joyce are two of the regular pro-war voices who have been featured on the Riddoch's programme since the 'war' started, if not before - Joyce was certainly banging the drum enthusiastically for months before the invasion of Iraq was launched, and has cropped-up on a wide variety of Scottish and networked programmes ever since as a steadfast supporter of military action. (This is the guy who, just before the Black Watch headed North, assured concerned viewers/listeners that the troops would find it 'a fulfilling experience'.)

Earlier this year I wrote to the Riddoch Show producers twice, asking them what procedures are in place for members of the public to access tapes of the programme. I received no acknowledgement, no reply, nothing. In one of the letters I pointed-out that the request had been copied to media-watch and that there would be other people interested in the outcome of my query. (I stated openly that I wanted to scan the tapes of the show over the past two years and study the various arrangements of invited guests.)

If anyone has the time/inclination, could they please write to lesley at bbc.co.uk, (and forward this message if you wish) and ask why there has been no response to my request, and what procedures do exist for accessing these valuable historical documents ?? After all, broadcasters may well have a minimum period during which recordings must be archived, but what happens when that period has elapsed ?

I'm aware that this is a busy and anxious time for everyone, but I would be very grateful for any support list-members might wish to lend me in this small effort to hold public broadcasters accountable for what they produce at our expense.

Best regards to all,

Ian Brotherhood