[Media-watch] Alhurra journalist only Iraqi member of travelling white house press corps - chicago tribune - 2/11/2004

Julie-ann Davies jadavies2004 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 21:28:17 GMT 2004

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0411010243nov02,1,715140.story?coll=chi-leisuretempo-hed

The most-watched TV reporter nobody in America has seen

By Rick Pearson
Tribune political reporter
Published November 2, 2004

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. -- President Bush's motorcade had left the high school
athletic field, the crane that hefted a giant U.S. flag drooped its arm and
journalist Dalia Al-Aqidi was sitting down to take in the warmth of a low,
late afternoon sun off the desert mountains.

It was time for a break in the broadcasting schedule for Al-Aqidi, who may
be the most-watched television correspondent covering President Bush's
re-election campaign that no one in America has ever seen.

But through her reports for Alhurra, the U.S.-sponsored TV channel for the
Middle East, as well as her background on television and the stage, Al-Aqidi
is readily recognized and besieged for autographs when she returns to her
home region.

Home, by the way, is Baghdad. Al-Aqidi, 36, has the unique perspective of
being the only Iraqi covering the presidential campaign as a member of the
traveling White House press corps.

Her views are intensified by her strange life's journey. She grew up in
several Middle East countries and was part of Iraq's protected status
because of her family's background in the arts.

In her teenage years, she used to go to the same clubs as Uday and Qusay
Hussein, the late sons of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. Indeed,
Hussein once granted her a life-changing favor. Years later, she fled
Hussein and his regime.

Now, Al-Aqidi is reporting and anchoring the news for a relatively new TV
station broadcasting by satellite to 22 Middle East countries from studios
in Springfield, Va. More than just serving as a reporter, she also faces a
battle of perceptions from those within Alhurra's target audience who
believe its U.S. government background makes it little more than a
propaganda machine.

`A special status'

Born the daughter of Iraqi actress Ghazwa Al-Alkhalidi and her father, Fakri
Al Aqidi, a prime mover behind the Iraqi theater, "We had a certain, special
status that we lived in," Al-Aqidi said.

"For me, I lived a very happy childhood. I had everything, yet I always felt
that something was missing," Al-Aqidi said. "You always had to be careful.
You cannot trust your best friend. You cannot even trust your family
members. . . . You feel that your phone was tapped. You feel that you are
being watched all the time, regardless of who you are and what you do."

At age 7, she was a star of Middle Eastern television. During a period in
which her mother was acting in Abu Dhabi, Al-Aqidi was hosting and
performing songs and dances on an after-school show similar to the "Mickey
Mouse Club."

By the time she was in 5th grade, in the late 1970s, she and her mother
returned to Iraq. The stirrings of the soon-to-start Iraq-Iran war were in
the air. But there also were divisions in her family. It was when her
parents decided to divorce.

Seeking a favor from Hussein

Al-Aqidi's mother decided to ask Hussein, who was vice president of Iraq,
for a favor. Could she keep custody of her daughter, rather than follow
Iraqi law that automatically turned the child over to her father?

"He said, `You'll have your daughter back,'" Al-Aqidi said of Hussein. "He
saved my life at that time because I couldn't live with my father."

While her and her mother's careers as an actresses flourished, the special
status Al-Aqidi was accorded allowed her to socialize with a select group,
including Hussein's sons.

"I used to see them all the time," she said. "We were kids. I never thought
about the government until I started growing up. By the age of 17 and 18, I
started realizing this is not the right thing."

The family started to plot a way to get out of Iraq.

Al-Aqidi and her mother frequently traveled throughout the Middle East for
acting performances -- though they were never both allowed out of Iraq at
the same time. But in 1988, Al-Aqidi was scheduled to perform at a festival
in Tunisia while her mother was scheduled to go to Cairo.

"We drove our car to a place, parked it and walked in the street and talked
about how we planned to leave the country," she said.

"I left with two suitcases. My grandmother didn't know. My aunts didn't, my
uncles. No one knew that we were leaving," she said. "We had to hide the
cash between the covers of the suitcase, knowing if they catch us, we'll be
dead."

Accompanied by her infant half-brother, Al-Aqidi and her mother worked
throughout the Middle East. Al-Aqidi hosted children shows, did some news
reporting and dubbed cartoons from English to Arabic. Then Hussein invaded
Kuwait, the Gulf War started and the family found itself without a homeland.

She and her mother were encouraged by elements of the Iraqi opposition to
join Radio Free Iraq in Saudi Arabia, where she developed most of her
reporting skills. She was later able to get a passport and move to the
United States, and Washington, where she has lived and worked since 1991.

Al-Aqidi joined Alhurra before it went on the air six months ago, serving as
its White House correspondent and anchor, reporting on its two one-hour
nightly news programs. She also works on a sister station, Alhurra Iraq,
which is directed solely at that country. The U.S. government has invested
more than $100 million in the two stations.

While a recent ACNielsen survey found the station was being watched by
millions of Arab viewers, its audience pales compared with the more known
Al-Jazeera, which Al-Aqidi said plays more to the passions of its viewers.
Al-Aqidi also acknowledged that the new station's credibility is an issue
with some Arab viewers.

"Before we were launched there was prejudgment that this is U.S. propaganda,
so, for us, we have to walk the extra mile just to prove we are credible.
We're not anybody's propaganda. We're not Bush's mouthpiece. We're not the
government's mouthpiece," she said.

"This is the hardest thing we are facing, and we faced it from Day One. Now,
people are starting to look at us and say, `You know what? Let me hear what
you have to say,' even though they may not trust us. It'll take us a long
time to build that trust."

Questioning Bush rationale

An ardent supporter of regime change in Iraq, she has questioned the Bush
administration's rationale for going to war. During a piece on detainees at
Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, she raised the issue of a lack of judicial fairness,
including the use of faulty interpreters.

Afternoon in Alamogordo has quickly turned into sunset as three buses
carrying the press corps arrive at Holloman Air Force Base, where reporters
climb onto "Grim Air," the nickname for the dull gray Boeing 757 that will
ferry them to Texas that night.

Aboard the jet, Al-Aqidi has put away the laptop she uses to write her
scripts, where Arabic words had flowed on the screen from right to left in a
Microsoft Word document, and she sipped a Heineken as she pondered the state
of her world.

"I had nightmares for years and years that I wake up and I'm in the middle
of Iraq during Saddam's period and people would recognize me and run after
me to try to capture me and I was running, running, running," Al-Aqidi said.

"I do not think Americans really appreciate freedom because they've never
seen anything else," she said. "They've never lost it. Now, with the Patriot
Act, they have started feeling it. But this is nothing compared to what was
happening in Iraq."