[Media-watch] Some thoughts on UNSCR 1441 and the dubious legality of the invasion of Iraq

Antony Wright antony_wright at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 31 19:40:09 BST 2004

This short essay is a collection of my thoughts on the legality of invading
Iraq, specifically in relation to the infamous Resolution 1441. It is
largely the product of various exchanges with posters to Medialens (mostly
trolls). As so many journalist, politicians, bloggers, and the like continue
to appeal to 1441 (frequently distorting it), it seemed useful to collect my
thoughts. I should emphasise that I am not a lawyer but I hope that some
people may find it of use -even if it is decidely old news now

Many journalists and politicians have argued that UN Resolution 1441
authorized an attack on Iraq in the event of its breach. Further, such
people also maintain that Iraq did breach 1441 or, failing that, that
previous Resolutions provided authority (the British Attorney General, Peter
Goldsmith, for instance). In this short essay, I attempt to refute each of
these claims and demonstrate that the invasion of Iraq was illegal.

http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=393

by: David Traynier on: 29th May, 04