[Media-watch] From todays globalecho !

Antony Wright antony_wright at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 30 09:58:07 BST 2004

www.globalecho.org Is an open publishing platform that invites YOU to post news, opinion, and comment on local and global issues. The focus is non-mainstream political and social news and views.

----------------

Arresting Times, But On Whose Orders? - 30th May, 04
The arrest of Abu Hamza disproves any wild ideas that Tony Blair is his own boss
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=407

The handover that became a shambles: ten U-turns on the road to 'peace' - 30th May, 04
The appointment of an interim Prime Minister who used to work for the CIA is one of a series of disastrous policy changes by the US.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=406

58 nations call for more say - 30th May, 04
European and Latin American leaders at a summit in Mexico have condemned the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by US soldiers and called for greater multilateral decision-making in world affairs.
"We firmly condemn all forms of abuse, torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment of persons, including prisoners of war, wherever they occur," said a final declaration adopted by 58 leaders from the European Union, Latin America and the Caribbean.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=405

Kuwaiti Islamic Bank Floating - 30th May, 04
Wherever a new bank is being established there is the relevant question of where the float capital is coming from. Although this report suggests that much of it is coming from a social security fund, plus public subscriptions, we would expect a substantial capital block is already pre-sold to the traditional sources of bank capital, to ensure that it becomes part of the international bank network.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=404

Siege Heil: The Bush-Rove-Schwarzenegger Nazi Nexus and the Destabilization of California - 30th May, 04
George W. Bush's grandfather helped finance the Nazi Party. Karl Rove's grandfather allegedly helped run the Nazi Party, and helped build the Birkenau Death Camp. Arnold Schwarzenegger's Austrian father volunteered for the infamous Nazi SA and became a ranking officer. Why are we not taking these family histories, these old family ties more seriously? The prominent junior members of these families are presently doing some serious damage of their own, what will they do next?
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=403

'Peace Now' Under Investigation for Espionage Activities - 30th May, 04
The left-wing "Peace Now" organization is being investigated after conducting aerial surveillance of Jewish communities and army bases in Jerusalem, Yesha (Judea, Samaria and Gaza), and the Golan.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=402

Kurdish rebels to end Turkey truce - 30th May, 04
Separatist Kurdish guerrillas have declared an end to their five-year ceasefire with Turkey, a news agency close to the rebels says.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=401

D(isinformation) Day: 60 Years is Enough - 30th May, 04
June 6, 2004 marks 60 years since the fabled Allied invasion known as "D-Day." Lost amid the self-congratulatory orgy is the minor detail that by the time of the D-Day invasion, the Soviets were engaging 80 percent of the German Army on the Eastern Front. Oops.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=400

The Americans have lost control of almost the entire country - 30th May, 04
America's neoconservatives have a lot of explaining to do, and they are trying to do it. We hear them on our own airwaves. Presumably, their line on American radio and television is broadly the same. 'Mr Perle, you are one of those influential neoconservatives who predicted before the war that the population would be pro-American. But the whole country seems to be against us.'
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=399

American Caligula - 30th May, 04
"Let them hate so long as they fear." - Roman emperor, Caligula
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=398

The Yugoslavian Fairy Tale - 30th May, 04
It is always fascinating to watch the eagerness with which so-called progressives unquestioningly accept an official history full of virtuous U.S. officials and villainous savages trying the patience of the peaceful, law-abiding Great Powers. Case in point: the wars in the former Yugoslavia, and Stacy Sullivan's recent account of them in Foreign Policy In Focus (http://www.fpif.org/commentary/2004/0402milosevic.html).
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=397

Stacy Sullivan on Milosevic and Genocide - 30th May, 04
Liberals and much of the left have been badly bamboozled on recent Yugoslav history and the role of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, with former Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic having been hyper-demonized and the history of the Balkans rewritten to fit what Lenard Cohen calls the "paradise lost/loathsome leaders" paradigm.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=396

Bush radio speech: Evil is profitable - 30th May, 04
"Here in the Nation's Capital, Saturday has a special significance as we dedicate the World War II Memorial in the presence of thousands of veterans of that conflict. When it mattered most, an entire generation of Americans stepped forward to fight evil and show the finest qualities of our nation, and of humanity," said Bush today in his radio speech.
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=395

Knowing who we are and why it matters - 30th May, 04
A while back I wrote a piece called "Listen to your ancestors" that in part was based upon my experiences of living in Africa for ten years (before being unceremoniously booted out by my former 'comrades').
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=394

Some thoughts on UNSCR 1441 and the dubious legality of the invasion of Iraq - 29th May, 04
This short essay is a collection of my thoughts on the legality of invading Iraq, specifically in relation to the infamous Resolution 1441. It is largely the product of various exchanges with posters to Medialens (mostly trolls). As so many journalist, politicians, bloggers, and the like continue to appeal to 1441 (frequently distorting it), it seemed useful to collect my thoughts. I should emphasise that I am not a lawyer but I hope that some people may find it of use -even if it is decidely old news now
http://www.globalecho.org/view_article.php?aid=393