[Media-watch] events in Rafah - from Btselem, Info Centre for human rights in occupied territories

Sigi D sigi_here at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 21 18:43:53 BST 2004

Dear MW friends,
The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the
Occupied Territories http://www.btselem.org/
(two emails)
have a nice weekend!

B'Tselem Update <update at btselem.org>
Sent : 	20 May 2004 12:00:03
To : 	"B'Tselem: Yesterday's Events in Rafah - 20 May,
2004" <update at btselem.org>
Subject : 	B'Tselem: Yesterday's Events in Rafah - 20
May, 2004
May 20, 2004
======================================
BíTselem ñ Yesterdayís Events in Rafah
======================================

Yesterday afternoon, the IDF shot tank shells in an
effort to disperse a protest
demonstration. One of the shells hit the
demonstrators, killing at least eight
of them and injured many more. According to reports in
the press, most of the
dead are children.

In the wake of this shelling, the army must completely
halt all military
operations in the Rafah area.

B'Tselem issued a press release calling on Prime
Minister Ariel Sharon and
Minister of Defense Shaul Mofaz to immediately order
IDF forces to leave Rafah.

===============================
Family Flees as Home Demolished
===============================

Early yesterday morning, IDF snipers took up positions
on the roofs of houses
adjacent to the home of the Hasuna family in the Tel
a-Sultan neighborhood in
Rafah.

Around 9:30 AM, an IDF bulldozer began demolishing the
familyís house without
warning.  Khaider Hasuna told BíTselem: ìThey started
demolishing the room that
we were sitting in.  My wife and I were screaming and
our children were
terrified.  We took the children and went out to the
yard.  I saw a tank about
twenty meters east of my house.  The tank began to
open fire rapidly toward the
house.î

Hasuna and his family ran back into their house, and
hid in the bathroom.
Several minutes later, they ventured out again,
climbed a ladder and jumped over
the fence around the house and ran to the house of
their neighbor, the
al-Bardawil family, where they have been staying
since.

=====================
License to Demolition
=====================

The IDF reportedly plans to demolish hundreds of
additional houses in the Rafah
Refugee Camp in order to widen the ìPhiladelphi Routeî
along the Gaza-Egypt
border, thereby preventing the smuggling of weapons
through tunnels dug under
the route.  The IDF has now asked Attorney General
Menachem Mazuz to legally
sanction these plans for widespread demolitions. This
morning (20 May, 2004),
Mazuz will convene a consultation with senior
officials from the Justice
Ministry and the Military Judge Advocate Generalís
Office regarding this issue.
Last night, BíTselem sent an urgent request to Mazuz
to categorically reject the
IDFís proposal, as it constitutes a severe violation
of international
humanitarian law.

Israel, as the occupying force in the West Bank and
the Gaza Strip, is obliged
by international humanitarian law to protect the local
population and ensure its
safety and welfare.   The plan violates three basic
principles of international
humanitarian law: The prohibition on destroying
civilian property in occupied
territory unless there is absolute military necessity,
the principle of
proportionality, and the prohibition on collective
punishment.

=======
Act Now
=======

Write Attorney General Menachem Mazuz (fax:
+972-2-6274481), and Justice
Minister Yosef Lapid (fax +972-2-6285438), and add
your voice to those opposing
the demolitions of houses belonging to innocent
civilians. Send your fax as soon
as possible, as the decision may be made shortly
following tomorrowís meeting.

Following is a sample letter:

I write to express my deep concern at the governmentís
plan to destroy hundreds
of houses in the Rafah refugee camp, in order to widen
the Philidelphi Route.
This plan severely violates international humanitarian
law, to which Israel is
obligated.
Israel, as the occupying force in the West Bank and
the Gaza Strip, is obliged
to protect the local population and ensure its safety
and welfare.   While
Israel may derogate from its obligations for military
necessity, it must
nevertheless balance military needs with the rights of
the residents of the
occupied territory.
The planned demolitions will render homeless thousands
of civilians who have not
taken part in hostilities. I therefore urge you to
determine that these planned
demolitions run contrary to Israelís legal
obligations.

Legal background:
http://btselem.gns.co.il/Rafah/English.asp