[Media-watch] FW: Assaination of a Colleague

Tim Gopsill TimG at nuj.org.uk
Fri May 21 15:33:53 BST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Hady Jiad Tamimi [mailto:hadytamimi at hotmail.com]
Sent: 21 May 2004 15:23
To: sjones at tinyworld.co.uk; gracelally at yahoo.com;
james.corrigall at bbc.co.uk; BMC JB; John Fray; John Fray;
alferem at hotmail.com; sharif_n at hotmail.com; Andrew Dixon; The Journalist;
Tim Gopsill; AngelaAu; Jeremy Dear; rita.johnson at virgin.net;
lezard at elmtreecottages.co.uk; jyg at cix.co.uk; Jon.Hextall at lbhf.gov.uk
Subject: Assaination of a Colleague

Dear Jeremy/John/Paul/Jim and other colleagues

An Iraqi colleague of us who has been working for Al-Jazeera satellite TV
was killed early today in the Iraqi Holy City of Kerbella. Rasheed Hamid
Wali was on the roof of a hotel in the city, which is very well known to be
hosting al-jazeera team for the past few weeks, with two other colleagues.
He was looking over the edge into the street where US armoured vehicles was
heard moving during a fight with Moqtada Sadr fighters.
Salvos of machine guns were bursting toward them and he was killed.

this is the second colleague from Al-Jazeera to be killed/assisinated in
Iraq, the first was Late Tareq Ayoub who was killed when a US warplane
targeted the HQ of Al-Jazeera in Baghdad.

I call upon you to urgently, swiftly and firmly to condemn the murder of our
colleagues and to demand a full and serious enquiry into the incident. we
have shrapnel/remnants of the bullets taken from the roof ready for forensic
inspection.

could you kindly issue such a statement as it seems journalists are being
targetted and silenced in horendous and abhorent manner. the witnesses of
the truth are being assiinated.

we hope the International Federation of Journalists will also condemn that
and make representation to the US Embassy and UN secretary General.

please send a copy of such statements and letters of condolences and support
to this e-mail. Al-Jazeera will be acknowledging and referring to them.

Yours colleague in solidarity and sincerely

Dr Abdul-Hadi Jiad (tamimi)
0974 545 8912