[Media-watch] re: BNP

David McKnight david at milwr.freeserve.co.uk
Fri May 21 11:25:41 BST 2004

Stephen,

I have'nt seen the leaflet you refer to so can't comment. However, there's been similar nonsense here in North Wales. I enclose the following local pressing cutting. In addition to this, I have heard that the postal workers union CPWU are refusing to deliver BNP material in some areas. You could probably get more info on this from their website (don't know it sorry!).
Best,
David

from the flintshire evening leader

POLICE have launched a probe into the far right BNP party after the group
distributed outrageous leaflets around Wrexham about suicide bombers.

People were left so offended by the election material making reference to
suicide bombers, that they contacted the town's MP, Ian Lucas, who then
immediately informed the police.
Yesterday, leaflets were distributed to addresses in the Smithfield, Borras
and Rossett areas of Wrexham, provoking outrage among local people and
community leaders.
Beneath the headline 'Asylum is Making Britain Explode', the leaflet makes a
catalogue of claims about asylum seekers in Wales.
Wrexham police are now investigating the legality of the leaflet.
This morning, Inspector Chris Beasley said: "We are aware of the leaflets
and the Crown Prosecution Service is looking at them. We are waiting for
advice from the CPS as to whether any offence has been committed."
Angry residents from the Smithfield area informed Mr Lucas about yesterday's
leaflet drop.
He was so alarmed he informed North Wales Police, and said they are now
investigating the material.
Mr Lucas said: "I was shocked by the contents. I have seen BNP literature
before but I found this particularly inflammatory.
"The leaflet is hateful, it is full of lies and does nothing to deal with
the issues that face Wrexham today.
"It offers no solutions, only bile."
The only candidate the party has put forward in Wrexham is Ennys Hughes, in
Plas Madoc, and it is believed the leaflet is being used to pave the way for
the campaign for European Parliament candidate, John Walker.
Mr Walker said: "These are the facts and it's just tough if people don't
like it."
Some residents believe Wrexham has been targeted by the BNP after its
misinterpretation of last summer's incidents in Caia Park.
But politicians, including MPs Mr Lucas and Martyn Jones, and council leader
Shân Wilkinson, have categorically said that the BNP does not understand
Wrexham and will get short shrift from voters.
John Humberstone, who has served on Caia Park Community Council for many
years, said he was astonished to find the leaflet had been put through his
and his neighbours' letterboxes yesterday.
He said: "I think the best place for this leaflet is in the dustbin or, as
we are enjoying such nice weather, perhaps people could use it to start
their barbecues.
"I cannot understand why the BNP has targeted Smithfield in this way. We
have had a few asylum seekers; they lived a few doors away from me and were
thoroughly decent people. We are a little community with a mixture of people
and I have never heard anyone use a racist remark here. Whoever is behind
their political manoeuvring has targeted the wrong area. People here will
not be impressed by what this inflammatory leaflet has to say."
Email: newsdesk at wrexhameveningleader.co.uk