[Media-watch] BNP election address

Stephen McKee stephen_mckee at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 11:11:34 BST 2004

I know this list is for media issues, but I'm seething.  I've just had a BNP
leaflet delivered through my door.  It came with a Green leaflet and a Lib
Dem one.  It is the biggest load of filth I've seen in a long time.

I'm not in favour of the "No Platform" approach - I think the arguments of
fascists must be tackled head on - but I have to say my first reaction was
to think: how can we work with postal worker on a campaign of civil
disobedience to stop this filth being delivered?  Is this a goer?

The "arguments" in the leafet will sadly have currency because it taps into
the distortions people are being fed by the tabloid press.  "Asylum seeker
ate my donkey" that kind of thing.  Sadly, any rebuttal on these issues to
the tabloid press from activists is going to be too little too late.  If it
gets published at all.

Am I being anti democratic?  Or is this leaflet just beyond the pale?

Steve