[Media-watch] haaretz: Israel plans to 'remove' Arafat from power

Sigi D sigi_here at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 12 09:48:32 BST 2004

Hello, dear MW friends,
I've just come across this news in Haaretz, liberal
daily newspaper from Israel.
Does Israel plan to escalate the present situation in
the middle east by 'removing' Arafat from power?
I quote from the news item:
"Shalom also said Israel must "bring about the
development of a different Palestinian leadership,"
which he said would only be possible if Arafat were
removed from power."
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/426612.html
Last Update: 12/05/2004 10:32
Shalom: Israel must bring about new Palestinian
leadership
By Haaretz Service

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Wednesday that if
Israel wants to change life in the region, it must
continue building the West Bank separation fence,
struggle to get Palestinian terror groups placed on
international lists of terrorists, and try to bring
about a different Palestinian leadership - in part by
removing Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat
from power.
Speaking on Israel Radio, Shalom said an ongoing
diplomatic battle was necessary to include Hamas and
other terror organizations on lists of terror groups.
However, the United States, European Union and
Australia have already banned Hamas.
Explaining the significance of the lists, Shalom said
it ultimately helps prevent organizations such as
Hamas from recruiting suicide bombers.
"This isn't a technical decision," he said. "It blocks
all their bank accounts, keeping them from continuing
to give money to poor families from the [Gaza] Strip
and afterwards asking them to send their children to
religion classes in mosques, and from there sending
them out to carry out terror attacks."
Shalom also said Israel must "bring about the
development of a different Palestinian leadership,"
which he said would only be possible if Arafat were
removed from power.
"I think that removing Arafat can bring about a
different Palestinian leadership - possibly more
moderate, more responsible - that will sprout in his
place," said Shalom.
"I think that as long as [Arafat] is here with us,
terror will continue... We can no longer ignore
[this]."