[Media-watch] (no subject)

Mark and Andrea megandmark at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 23:43:28 BST 2004

I too appreciate Ian Brotherhood's rants - along with the Dean Rubbergloves
stuff on Medialens. Keep up the good work, Ian/Dean. I guess the problem
with posting is that people lead busy lives and simply don't have the time
to post all the time, or to do the research necessary to dig out interesting
articles.

By the way did anyone see the BBC news tonight at 10pm. One story stood out;
that of a rapist/murderer. A horrific story, as I'm all subscribers would
agree. What I found to be objectionable in the reporting was the continual
reference to the perpetrator's immigration status. Both headlines and story
referred repeatedly to the fact that the rapist was an illegal immigrant;
indeed the first headline gave prominence to this fact. Maybe I'm wrong, but
surely the news should have been that some sicko had raped and murdered a 12
year old girl, not that he was an illegal immigrant or that the government
had failed by letting him in. Of course this story was covered alongside the
current coverage of the Home Office/Romania story. The net result is a
feeding of the paranoia/moral panic about asylum issues. I have not written
to Richard Sambrook for some time, as he seems (post-Hutton) to have given
up replying to emails. However I will on this issue. For anyone else who is
interested in dropping Mr Sambrook a line, his email address is:
richard.sambrook at bbc.co.uk

Keep posting everyone.

Mark